Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2OTL Exhaust Different Design Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2OTL Exhaust Different Design Question

I am noticing there were 2 different designs in the piping on the 2OTL.
One design is where the actual OTL pipes are straight.
The other design is where the OTL pipes have a slight angle bend in them.

Does anyone know the models/years these designs came on?

I recently acquired a 2OTL that I am restoring and the design on the OTL piping is the one that has a slight bend in them. I am sure they all flow the same, just curious if anyone has any insight to what years these were on and models.

Sorry, no pics for now, at work, but the muffler is turning out great. It was in decent shape and last night did the sanding work
400--> 1500--> 2000 wet sand

The previous owner painted the tailpipes black, so I am sanding these down and priming and repainting black. Will try to have some pics up soon.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:33 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not following on the angle bend thing, but the "real" 2OTL came on the 1996 and 1997 SS's. After that, SLP went to the "dual/dual" design, which has regular tail pipes coming out on each side of the muffler.

You're polishing your muffler? LOL. I'll be sure to make fun of you for that.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Damian
I'm not following on the angle bend thing, but the "real" 2OTL came on the 1996 and 1997 SS's. After that, SLP went to the "dual/dual" design, which has regular tail pipes coming out on each side of the muffler.

You're polishing your muffler? LOL. I'll be sure to make fun of you for that.
Hahaha, thanks bro, looking forward to it.....its SS so you'll see the outcome, granted it won't be perfect, but helluv alot better than when I got it.

Pic well tell a thousand words, but I have seen 2OTL's where the the exhaust pipes are completely straight, then there is this one which has a little bend in the pipe right at tip area. And this looks complete facttory so I don't think it was done by an exhaust shop.

Maybe SLP switched up the pipe design somewhere thru production for better fit or appearance. Hmmmm.

Here is the link of the piece I bought.....
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...heap-pics.html
Old 01-27-2010, 03:43 PM
10 Second Club

I always thought that the setup in your link was for a Third Gen f-body. I could be wrong. Mine isn't bent like that and I ordered directly from SLP for a LT1 f-body.

Larry
Old 01-27-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

^^^can you post a pic of it?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
^^^can you post a pic of it?
It's cold as nuts outside so I just Googled it...

http://formula.bambeezer.com/2otl.jpg

http://www.ls1sounds.com/SLP2otl/SLP_2otl.jpg
Old 01-27-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Good pics, those are the ones I've seen too.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

The 2OTL actually started on the firehawks. If memory serves me correct they were the ones that had the bend in the pipe. When it came out on the SS it had the straighter pipes and that was the ones that SLP sold to everyone. See if you can find any of the earlier firehawk owners and ask them to see if I am correct or not.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2OTL tailpipes have the bend in them that you're describing...which I thought they all had. I'm still eager to get them installed (taking a different approach and making it actually be true duals on my car).

What about the 98 WS.6...wasn't that a single on the left exhaust?
Old 01-28-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by want297z
The 2OTL actually started on the firehawks. If memory serves me correct they were the ones that had the bend in the pipe. When it came out on the SS it had the straighter pipes and that was the ones that SLP sold to everyone. See if you can find any of the earlier firehawk owners and ask them to see if I am correct or not.
Great, thats what I was thinking and you pretty much confirmed it about being on the older LT1 Firehawks. I remember seeing photos of them on those years/models. The 98's did have the just the 1 OTL and those are pretty far and few, see one every once in a while.

Looking forward to putting this on, although not correct for the year, it will still add some nostalgia since it is true to Ponitac. Plus I think it flows better with the Firebird/Formula/Firehawk bumper. Right now I have the 2 big Magnaflow bazooka tubes, which sounds great, but I have read on the board that the 2OTL sounds awesome at WOT, so with my H/C/LT/ORY...I am anxious to hear the setup.

Stay tuned for finished pics....
Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

I did put my LT1 version on my LS1 car. It fit right in there with no problem. I have always liked the sound of the 2OTL, but it did make the LS1 car less drone prone at WOT.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Studderin has the 2OTL on his car with the bigger streetsweeper cam and it sounds pretty good (watch the second pass).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L70SAvYtHNo

Quick Reply: 2OTL Exhaust Different Design Question