General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Loose Drivers Side Window!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose Drivers Side Window!

As the title states. I did a search and everything is about changing the motors which are fine. I locked my keys in the car once or twice and had to pry the window back to fit my hand in and unlock it. I know, I know

I plan on removing the panel and seeing whats up. Is there something I can refasten or does something need to be replaced? Water gets in because there is a 1/4 inch gap at the top where it does not seal properly.

Anyone have experience with this? Any write ups on how to remove the panel or experience would be very helpful. I understand there are some fasteners that are heat sealed??

I would like your advice before I blindly tear into my panel and fear it wont fit snugly back when I put it back on or break something.

Thank you.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to remove the door panel:

remove 2 screw for door handle trim
remove 1 screw for mirror trim
remove 3 screws that hold on door panel

to adjust window:
loosen the tabs on the top lip of the door and slide them til they push snug against the exterior weather stripping
Old 01-28-2010, 06:48 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

There are many adjustments you can do to make small adjustments in the way the window shuts. A 1/4 inch gap probably means that something is broken. Here are two common problems to look for when you get your door panel off:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...w-related.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html
Old 01-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

This happened in my 97.. There are two felt pads attached to metal brackets that attach to the top of the door panel (can only see them after removing the panel). They are adjustable you can loosen them and move them to make them hold the window in place tighter. You'll be able to figure it out once you remove the panel. Be sure to have the window switch on and roll it up and down to check how tight it is holding it. That could be your problem or maybe one broke. Only place I could find those parts was at the dealership but a junkyard in your area might have them. That COULD be the problem but i'm not positive. Take off the door panel and check it out. Hope this helps.

-Jeremy
Old 01-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by MeatL0af
This happened in my 97.. There are two felt pads attached to metal brackets that attach to the top of the door panel (can only see them after removing the panel). They are adjustable you can loosen them and move them to make them hold the window in place tighter. You'll be able to figure it out once you remove the panel. Be sure to have the window switch on and roll it up and down to check how tight it is holding it. That could be your problem or maybe one broke. Only place I could find those parts was at the dealership but a junkyard in your area might have them. That COULD be the problem but i'm not positive. Take off the door panel and check it out. Hope this helps.

-Jeremy
+1 - My comments above were assuming that the window would not go "up" all the way. If the window is just sticking out to the side, then you can disregard my earlier post.

One thing on adjusting the felt strips - you don't want to over adjust them, otherwise it could cause the window mechanism to bind up.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeatL0af

-Jeremy
thats what i was trying to say
Old 01-29-2010, 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

Ok I know I will figure it out once the panel comes off, but i have another ?

The felt pads are on the inside of the window since they have left track marks on my tint (usual problem I know), the thing is I need the window to pull in towards the cabin (make sense?).

Wouldn't sliding those felt retainers just push the window out more, or will they pull the window in?
Old 01-29-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riddlers'_Ls1

The felt pads are on the inside of the window since they have left track marks on my tint (usual problem I know), the thing is I need the window to pull in towards the cabin (make sense?).

Wouldn't sliding those felt retainers just push the window out more, or will they pull the window in?
they are more of a guide and are supposed to keep the window from rattling. when i replaced my motor one of them was broken, i was lucky i ordered one with the motor along with a window switch ( i bought them online from gm parts brand new .) i like to have extra parts or spares just in case.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Riddlers'_Ls1

Yea, the pads do push the window outwards. If they have become loose, they could have moved and locked in a position that pushes out too much. What does the streaking look like on your tint? The pads should not touch the window through the full motion of the glass. Do your streakes go the entire way or are they just in the middle of the panel?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

if the window is pulled in to far, there will be a gap between the window and weatherstripping
Old 01-31-2010, 02:29 AM
Staging Lane

One of the felt pads was broken replaced that, but the actual problem was a broken rivet that holds the motor. When the window would go up motor would go down and not let the window rise all the way. Thankfully the rivet left a clean hole so i just put a bolt and screw and its fixed, no more towels inside the car during a carwash hahahahahaha!