General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeaky Hatch-Repair the hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Squeaky Hatch-Repair the hatch?

Alright I have a squeaky hatch. I have been kicking around a few ideas and suggestions, loose tail lights, loose spare, busted lift shocks, worn out rear suspension shocks.

I made sure all the tail lights plastic nuts were tight, all are except one, need to replace it, its stripped. The spare is tight, the suspension shocks are OK, and I replaced the lift gate shocks last night, here comes the point of this thread.

The PS chassis mount and ball hatch mount were fine and sturdy. The DS is another case. The chassis mount is secure, the hatch ball mount is loose. It appears as the fiberglass that supports it is busted through and freely moves about. I have read some other thread, but cannot seem to find it now, where his/hers was loose. Did anyone ever find a repair for this? Is this normal? JB Weld?

Any info appreciated.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Bump something squeeks in my 99 z28 also, i thought it was the spare. I tightened the retainer hard but something still squeeks a little bit.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine recently started squeaking. I'm pretty sure it isn't actually the hatch though, but the plastics in the hatch where they all fit together. Because I got the squeak a couple times when the hatch was open and I was tapping around trying to find the source of the noise.

Haven't verified this, it got cold again, but when I have a chance I'm going to be looking into it more in-depth. I can't stand little tapping and squeaking noises! Every time I track down and fix one, I get another a few weeks later. Guess I have the wrong kind of car to have no squeaks and rattles huh
Old 01-29-2010, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

Sparky by plastics in the hatch do you mean the plastics that hold the speakers? I thought it might be those too.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

See I think mine is the actual hatch flexing as the car shakes, big cam idle, and the fact that one of my lift gate shocks doesnt work well, busted hatch connection, it allows the hatch to move and all of its contact areas are causing the squeaking, I dont know for sure though.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Holy crap, I took the spare and jack out to gain access to the hole in the bottom of that panel to run to my e-cutout and then went for a drive before I put them back in. GONE, not one pip or squeak. All gone, all I have now is busted motor mounts and an engine that shakes the exhaust into the rear subframe. Might want to look into this suggestion if you have AAA, or put some material in-between fender and rubber on tire to quiet it down a bit. I have AAA and lost 30-40? lbs!