Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Dowel through flywheel into crank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:47 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dowel through flywheel into crank?

Hey all,

I'm sure this is a stupid question, and I'm surprised it hasn't been asked before, but I see a hole in the back of my crank and in the flywheel. Is there supposed to be a dowel there? I can't believe I've never asked this because if it's supposed to be there, I've been doing without for quite some time, and I'm putting down a respectable amount of power. Hopefully I haven't been risking a catastrophy all this time.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-28-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's where the Transmission input shaft goes. There is a pilot bearing in the end of the crank as well. When aligning the clutch, there is a tool that is inserted into the pilot bearing that properly aligns the clutch with the flywheel. After everything is bolted down, the tool is removed and the transmission is reinstalled.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS.666
That's where the Transmission input shaft goes. There is a pilot bearing in the end of the crank as well. When aligning the clutch, there is a tool that is inserted into the pilot bearing that properly aligns the clutch with the flywheel. After everything is bolted down, the tool is removed and the transmission is reinstalled.
I think he's talking about the 7th hole on the back of the crank (the one thats not threaded). I often wondered that too. I just line up the extra hole in the flywheel with the extra hole in the crank and call it a day.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Banned

ive wondered too i dont think it matters but i always line it up
Old 02-03-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Most likely the OP's engine is "internal" balance so I would assume his crank (and rotateing assembly) was balanced without the dowel.....so don't install one and line the FW up so it's hole lines up with the dowel hole on the crank.
Attached Thumbnails Dowel through flywheel into crank?-clutch-inst-4-flywheel.jpg  
Old 02-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Teching In

If you were to use the dowel pin on an internally balanced motor, would it throw things off that much, in respect to balance???? Also, when you install the pilot bearing, I assume it should be flush with that particular hole in the crank???? And, which is better, bronze or needle roller pilot bearing???
Old 02-04-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dustiebutt
If you were to use the dowel pin on an internally balanced motor, would it throw things off that much, in respect to balance???? Also, when you install the pilot bearing, I assume it should be flush with that particular hole in the crank???? And, which is better, bronze or needle roller pilot bearing???
dowel pin probally weighs a few grams....I assume that would have some influence on a internal balance...my builder said not to put one in my 383 internal balance motor FWIW

pilot bearing face should be flush with crank end. DO NOT push it in to bottom of crank hole. There will be space behind PB///so you can use a tool to remove it.

needle vs bronze....you will get both opinions. Mine is needle

Quick Reply: Dowel through flywheel into crank?