LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

LS4 Belt tensioner replacement... what a pain!!!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS4 Belt tensioner replacement... what a pain!!!

Ok guys, i dont post a whole lot here, but I just got finished removing the broken pieces of the belt tensioner on my Fiance's '05 GXP... Wow.. what a pain.. I'm an ex- Gm tech, but i never had the opportunity to work on one of the LS4's... The tensioner snapped off of the bracket, which of course ate the belt, and then ripped the Cam sensor wiring off with it.. Thankfully the cam sensor is still good, but the pigtail and plug are sompletely gone.. So, is this a common problem?? has anyone changed one of these? also, I read somewhere about using a prybar to change the belt instead of the Kent-Moore tool? What I'm really asking is, HELP!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

I can say that I havent read or seen anyone else with this problem...and this will be the first I heard of it at all...but thats just me...but usually all the guys on here are pretty dedicated to these cars and announcing the problems...but like i said...thats a new one to me...sorry i couldnt help...I do know you have to have the specialty tool for the hydrolic tentioner....I know its a different tentioner...thats all i know...
Old 01-29-2010, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i had the same problem ..huge! pain in the ***! just let a shop deal wit it..
Old 01-29-2010, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blakss
i had the same problem ..huge! pain in the ***! just let a shop deal wit it..
that would be what i would do ^^. just looking at where it is gave me an instant headache.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

happened to me, while i was driving it sounded like a gun went off scared the **** out of me,
my next question to you is if your a "ex-gm tech" why in your post are you asking for help, ls4 or not your a ex gm tech, just a question

there is a gm master tech on this site he doesnt post much but hes on here i forget his screen name at the moment, ill go look
Old 01-29-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=10010694

that dude
Old 01-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Well, I've never worked on a ls4 car, and I know techs have tricks to do certain jobs... I know Plenty of tricks to pull parts off in a easier manner than gm tells you to... That's why I'm asking for help.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been brought up before, I now there is another thread around here about it...not sure where though.

Hey bdyman your link doesn't work, and why must you always be condescending?

EDIT: here is one: https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...t-tension.html

Last edited by Bryan921SS; 01-29-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There are two GM Techs I'm aware of, speedshifter and phat_ridegt. Possibly more.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
This has been brought up before, I now there is another thread around here about it...not sure where though.

Hey bdyman your link doesn't work, and why must you always be condescending?

EDIT: here is one: https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...t-tension.html
i believe his screen name is speedshifter, dont know why it doesnt work i just copied and pasted
not being condescending at all, just stating a fact thats all
Old 01-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Teching In

What fact? That you're a tool? I mean I'm not trying to start a fight here, but that statement about 'you're a ex gm tech, so why are you asking questions here' was pretty rude... I'm just asking for any advice that anyone can give.
Btw, I think the rest of you guys are being helpful! Thanks!
Old 01-29-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Leave Bdyman alone...if he feels any butt hurt coming on things get ugly in hurry.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im not the one asking for help
your a ex gm tech thats asking for help i just stated a fact, and why are you a ex gm tech im not the guy asking for help a gm tech is asking for help
thats like me asking another bodyman to help me put a door skin on, relax will ya its the internet
Old 01-30-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bdyman
im not the one asking for help
your a ex gm tech thats asking for help i just stated a fact, and why are you a ex gm tech im not the guy asking for help a gm tech is asking for help
thats like me asking another bodyman to help me put a door skin on, relax will ya its the internet
Maybe hes been retired 10 years? Who knows other than him, quit being an asshat to everyone that asks a question. Get your facts then make statements about peoples ability.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Anyway.....that whole belt system is a pain in the ***. It took sooo long for me to just get the belt on and off. I cant imagine replacing the whole tensioner. Hopefully you wont have to do it again.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS4SPEED
Maybe hes been retired 10 years? Who knows other than him, quit being an asshat to everyone that asks a question. Get your facts then make statements about peoples ability.
hey asshat i asked a simple question............sooooooooooooooooo............ .............this is a free forum a free place to comment so i asked a question asshat thats all asshat nothing more nothing less asshat

example if i came on a forum and openly typed out a comment im a ex body fender tech, and im asking for help im sure other people would ask the same question, but since no one does that and i do im the asshat and or bad guy

sooooooooooooooo...........................again why is he a ex gm tech
Old 01-30-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why do you care??

Maybe he quit, maybe he got fired...what does that have to do with him modifying his car???

Are you a gm mechanic??
Old 01-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Since it's been such a topic of discussion, I quit my job as a GM tech in '07..YES these cars were out, one never showed it's way into my stall.. I worked at a chevy dealer, and down here the impala SS's and MC SS's werent real big sellers.... Just because i can change a both the belt tensioners on my '05 sierra with one hand tied behind my back and my D!ck in a cup of ice water doesnt mean i can change the belt tensioner on her car with such ease. satisfied???
Sincerely, King Asshat

Now... hopefully i can get this damn car put back together once the parts come in...
Old 01-30-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bdyman
hey asshat i asked a simple question............sooooooooooooooooo............ .............this is a free forum a free place to comment so i asked a question asshat thats all asshat nothing more nothing less asshat

example if i came on a forum and openly typed out a comment im a ex body fender tech, and im asking for help im sure other people would ask the same question, but since no one does that and i do im the asshat and or bad guy

sooooooooooooooo...........................again why is he a ex gm tech
I think you're the only person here that would give someone **** about asking this question. No need to sass him because of his question and his former profession. Since it's a free place to comment, can you please shut the **** up once in a while?
Old 01-30-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

JayBer, you need not respond to such personal questions. Some people here I believe need to belittle others in order to make themselves feel superior. When in fact all they do is make themselves look like asshats. As for leaving GM as a Tech, that's your decision and Im sure your a better person for it. I myself started out working as a bodyman like some one else on this board. I found no real future or chance for advancement in that profession unless you owned your own shop. So I quit four years into it, I was by far a rookie. I'm sure I'll be chastised for makeing that known.

Good luck with your tensioner change out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS4 Belt tensioner replacement... what a pain!!!