Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Last piece of suspension mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last piece of suspension mod

Okay I just finished installing a full exhaust (ARH catted-y and magnaflow catback). After hours of adjustments, I managed to get it away from the passenger side body, but it is still very close to the upper panhard bar. Less than 3mm I would say. I was thinking about getting a panhard bar relocation to slove this issue. But I heard that it would affect its handling in a negative way. My current suspension mods are strano springs and sway bars, koni 4/4, UMI stage 2 front end kit, UMI torque arm relocation, umi adjustable torque arm, UMI on car adjustable panhard bar, UMI non adjustable LCA, UMI 3 point sfcs, and UMI driveshaft loop. So I was wondering if there would be any issues with using the panhard bar relocation, such as the upper and lower panhard bar hitting each other since it is a lowered car, and the effects on handling.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
I just wanted to throw this out there for you. UMI Performance does offer a pan hard bar relocation kit. But when we manufactured it we based it on a factory ride height vehicle. It is possible that there might be a clearance issue seeing how when you lower a vehicle it brings the upper closer to the lower and were the kick down for the exhaust is (might connect to the lower). If that is the case I know that Jegs offers a lower pan hard bar relocation bracket that allows you to adjust the lower pan hard bar so there isn't any clearance issues. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 01-29-2010, 11:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

A PHB relocation kit makes more room for your exhaust. But it does it by dropping the PHB brace down to the former location for the PHB itself, then adding a piece to allow moving the PHB down futher as well. The issue here is simple, the PHB then ends up on a pretty big angle which makes for more arc motion when the suspension is moving (more lateral shifting of the body as it moves up and down).

You all know I use/sell UMI parts and really like them overall. This part is fine when used for the intended purpose of more clearance... but is best left to drag racers only, not to handling cars.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Brad and Sam for the information. So would a watts link allow more clearance? Since this car is going to be built for handling and I already threw so much money into it.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

A watts link gives you more room laterally, but no more front to back. In fact the way the exhausts are there might be slightly less room (as I'm betting is too close to the PHB as the pipe angles down).

All it takes a little messing with the exhaust hanger and there are no major issues. Hell, I just shimmed mine with a washer and it moved my over axle pipe away enough that it never hits the Watts frame.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by some_punk
Thank you Brad and Sam for the information. So would a watts link allow more clearance? Since this car is going to be built for handling and I already threw so much money into it.
No Problem Glad that I could help!
Thanks
Brad

Quick Reply: Last piece of suspension mod