Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Key FOB fixed, but coolant temp sensor went out at the same time

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 07:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Key FOB fixed, but coolant temp sensor went out at the same time

Ok, back when we had our cold snap, my key fob and tire pressure sensors went out. This was the first chance I had to sit down and go through the fuses and whatnot. In case yall were wondering, there are no fuses for either of the two systems...doh! I also reset the computer. That brought my key fob back, but now my coolant temp sensor only works for the first few seconds of the car being on. WTF! I guess I need to call someone with a Tech2 to see whats going on with my gauge cluster.

I REALLY hate driving around without knowing the temperature of the car. The only other car something like this has happened on was an 01 Firebird that I put a 160 degree thermostat in. The computer thinks there is something wrong and shuts down the temp sensor and kicks the fans on high and sets the SES. I programmed that code out. My V has a new stock thermostat and the car runs between 190-195 degrees.

Any ideas?
Old 01-29-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

Give it a couple of days or a few drive cycles. It will come back to life. Magically. Trust me.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Cool, yeah I was hoping there was just a reset process the computer was doing.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

if the drive cycles doesn't fix the problem,give me a call
Old 01-30-2010, 02:43 AM
TECH Resident

Well this was done yesterday afternoon and I've done about 130 miles. Trips of 15, 15, 20, 40, and 40+ miles and it still doesnt work. I'll be putting a little over 100 miles on it tomorrow as well. I'll give you a call Sunday if it doesn't start working tomorrow.

Like everyone else, this car has been one tiny problem after another...but still 100% worth it because I miss having a fun car that I can/need to work on. I havent had a sports car in 3 years before I bought this. I only got to drive for everyone else at the track.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:46 AM
Banned

I broke my coolant tempsensor when installing my headers. I know how you feel.

I picked one up from autozone for about 13$
Old 01-30-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Well at least ONE part on this car is cheap It works for a couple of seconds when the car starts up so I don't think its the sensor.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Its working again. Yesterday it was still out and I drove the car a couple of times, but this morning it worked. Now I just need to get my TPMS working again and I'll be all set...until next time..haha.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Don't mean to revive this uber dead thread, but I'm having a similar issue. I was cleaning up my ground contact under the hood strut, put everything back together, all was good for a good 20 min while driving, then mid drive the temp gauge dropped out and is no longer reading (digital and needle/mechanical). It will intermittently work (KOEO after sitting for 10-15 seconds w/key cycling) but after about 5-10 seconds of it coming back to life it will just drop out and stop reading coolant temperature. I'm figuring its not the physical thermistor (NTC) as it will read like stated above.

Any help/insight would be awesome. Prior to cleaning the ground contact everything was working just fine.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

If by cleaning the ground you disconnected the battery for any length of time, it could just be resetting itself. If I remember right it took a few days and several hot/cold cycles before mine came back. I wouldn't panic just yet.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Teching In

I had a set DTC fault for Coolant temp Sensor Out of Range, more then likely due to when i disconnected the battery. Was able to clear fault with my ETHOS at work. All good now.

Last edited by HR2L; 04-26-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:16 AM
TECH Resident

Maybe you do have another issue..mine never threw a code.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
Maybe you do have another issue..mine never threw a code.
That you knew about. Did you attempt to scan your vehicle when the issue arose?

Mine was a stored Pending DTC, never displayed a CEL Indicator Light, but upon scanning the vehicle there it was. Wasn't there prior to my little adventure in cleaning my grounds, not sure why physically caused it, but new that the Coolant temp sensor itself was still good because it ohm'd out ok, and I was seeing a proper voltage signal @ the connector, plus there was no physical check engine light which would be immediate had the coolant temp sensor took a ****. Either way, the problem was solved, and wanted to share what solved my issue to almost an identical situation.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

No I hadn't scanned it at the time. My pcm was fubar'd/locked at the time..although I didn't find out until about six months after this original post. I tried to tune it after I did the cam and couldnt connect HP Tuners or EFI Live to it. It took Al from "Chips By Al" and an old copy of "Tuner CATS" to get into it and load a stock copy of the tune back on.

Quick Reply: Key FOB fixed, but coolant temp sensor went out at the same time