General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cold weather fixes instrument lights... coincidence???????

Old 01-29-2010, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cold weather fixes instrument lights... coincidence???????

Ok so my camaro has had a plethora of instrument lights on for some time now. My abs inop, my brake, my tsr off, and my coolent low light. all of them are on pretty much all the time. And right now I just dont have the motivation to research and diagnose and fix what the problem(s) could be.

But like clock work everytime it is cold outside all the lights will be off and everything works perfect, asr kicks my foot back etc. Ive watched it do this numerous times to make sure Im not crazy. everytime I leave in the morning and the temp out side is in the 40's or lower it works perfect. Once it starts to heat up the lights start to come back on?!?!

Im pretty sure that hot temperatures isnt what makes my electronics freak out. But why would cold weather make them work. anyone had this crazyness happen befor?
Old 01-29-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mines the opposite way. my gauges freak out everytime it is cold. my guess is: the car is not my daily so the battery gets a little low? or some short in the car is somehow more exposed in cold weather... either way i took care of some exposed wires under the dash from the "experienced" alarm installer so hopefully that helps.

sorry to hijack your thread man.

when it's warm outside and you cold start your car, do they automatically freak out or only after the car has reached full op. temp?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

no worries man.... well its hard to say (when its warm out) on cold start some days only the asr light will be on, then sometimes it will be off and come on awhile later. somedays just the abs will be on. But inevitably they all eventually come on as the car runs longer. But most of the time... 8 out of 10 starts, all those lights will be on. im hoping its not a wiring issue under the dash.. who knows what the last owner did under there

Im just now starting to get tired of it, so I havent really done the research to see if these lights coming on is a common occurance and if there is a general consensus on how to fix the problem. I kinda remember reading something about the ABS relay being bad. Oh and Im not getting any engine codes...
Any other ideas?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Oh and I also just found out that a standard obd2 reader cant read most abs related codes and various other systems like the bcm. It only reads general drivetrain codes. You need something like a tech2 code reader.... this might explain why im not seeing any codes.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

my first suggestion would be to check your grounds, there are quite a few, but a search would probably be able to tell you where they all are.

next, I would look for exposed, burnt, pinched wires that are causing some sort of short either in the engine bay or under the dash, in that order.

you install anything about the time that this started happening?
Old 01-29-2010, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

well i did just install a new engine haha but im pretty sure the problem exsisted befor that... I think im going to try and find somebody that has a tech 2 code reader. If these cars have those lights on for 2 consecutive engine cycles(on&off) then they store a code. I just never had a clue that an obd2 couldnt read alot of codes. So hopefully that will take all the guess work out of trying to figure out what the problem is and just tell me exactly what it is! I hope i can find someone that carries that reader that doesnt charge up the *** to get it tested! im sure the chevy dealership has one but I will never go there unless its a last resort! I had to buy a window retainer peace because mine broke, all it is is a peace of flat metal with fuz on the end of it so it wont scratch the window. 16 bucks for one. wow
Old 01-29-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

in texas, local parts stores let you scan your car there in the parking lot.

local parts stores as in o'reilly's/autozone
Old 01-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by rdd014camaro
Ok so my camaro has had a plethora of instrument lights on for some time now. My abs inop, my brake, my tsr off, and my coolent low light. all of them are on pretty much all the time. And right now I just dont have the motivation to research and diagnose and fix what the problem(s) could be.

But like clock work everytime it is cold outside all the lights will be off and everything works perfect, asr kicks my foot back etc. Ive watched it do this numerous times to make sure Im not crazy. everytime I leave in the morning and the temp out side is in the 40's or lower it works perfect. Once it starts to heat up the lights start to come back on?!?!

Im pretty sure that hot temperatures isnt what makes my electronics freak out. But why would cold weather make them work. anyone had this crazyness happen befor?
When its hot, metal expands. It can be enough so that wires loose connections or short out to cuts in insulation, etc.

Does the outside temperature impact the problem or the inside temperature of the car? That will help you localize if the problem is under the hood or under the dash.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:34 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

While searching for my problem, I've stumbled across this thread.

I know there's a dealer fix for the dash issues when very cold but it involves swapping in a different cluster.

When really cold, my gauges freak out and the trip odometer resets to zero. Too bad the regular odometer doesnt.

Search this Thread