Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need some help - Grill/plate info needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Need some help - Grill/plate info needed

I think I'm finally going to buckle to the laws of my state and make an effort to put a front plate on my car.

Anyway, I think what I want to do is put a black Stull grille on my car, and put the license plate behind it. That way if you're standing right by the car, the plate isn't noticable, but it will still be visible by officers in their patrol cars. I've seen a couple pictures on here from people that have done this in the past, but I don't know how they secured the plate behind the grille. Is the plate secured to the grille, or did people just drill holes in their front bumper cover? Any help (or alternatives) here are appreciated.

Also, any pics as a reminder of how this looks would be nice as well.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

I hate to be the "bearer" of bad news to you "Smokin",but you wil still get a ticket because it is still considered ""improper mounting of tag"",yes I have numerous tickets from "trying" different methods of mounting tag as not to look as if there is a snow plow on the front of it!!!.So I just don't have one!!
Old 12-25-2003, 01:01 AM
Gev
TECH Addict

I had mine like that for a while. Looked like *** and it was still illegal. The best alternative is the SLP license plate holder. You can remove it for shows if needed.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the tip SSZ, I'm aware it's still technically illegal. I haven't had a front plate on my car (or past cars) for 3 years now, and I've only been stopped twice for it. I would like to think that if I at least had something close to being legal that I wouldn't have gotten stopped the other two times either. I can hope anyway.

BigBlack- I was thinking about this a day or two ago, and I'm starting to think the black Stull grill itself would look like *** on a white car... plate behind it or not. The white would just show up too well behind there.

Maybe I'll try mounting the plate on the airdam?
Old 12-25-2003, 05:28 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Well, what you can do then is paint that grill area flat black on the bumper, then it'll look really nice.

Oh and I don't recommend you mounting it on the airdam. It won't show as much and a state trooper will actually notice it more than not having a plate. That's what I think though. He'd be like "WTF? Where did this guy mount his plate? I'm pullin' his *** over."
Old 12-27-2003, 04:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the sig \!/ it would look gay with a front plate, the valance would be the only place I would put one but no way behind or on top of the grill, btw, this is the stull billet grill
Old 12-28-2003, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I'm going to have to agree with you Assassin. Nice pic though, I like the grill!

I think I'm going to end up putting it on my airdam, after talking with a buddy of mine that's a cop. Just so people don't take this the wrong way, it IS still illegal, but only from the standpoint of the height of the mounted plate.

625 ILCS 5/3‑413

(b) Every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than 5 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall be maintained in a condition to be clearly legible, free from any materials that would obstruct the visibility of the plate, including, but not limited to, glass covers and tinted plastic covers. Clear plastic covers are permissible as long as they remain clear and do not obstruct the visibility of the plates. Registration stickers issued as evidence of renewed annual registration shall be attached to registration plates as required by the Secretary of State, and be clearly visible at all times.

This is under section 3-412 subsection (C)

(C)Each registration plate and the required letters and numerals thereon, except the year number for which issued, shall be of sufficient size to be plainly readable from a distance of 100 feet during daylight, and shall be coated with reflectorizing material. The dimensions of the plate issued to vehicles of the first division shall be 6 by 12 inches.
So given that, I'm still just taking my chances with how cool the cop wants to be, but I should hopefully be okay. At least if I get pulled over again, they'll see that I'm making an effort to comply.

Quick Reply: Need some help - Grill/plate info needed