Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with tuning

Hey guys. I just picked up a ws6 98 with a built 408. Ms4 cam 243 heads etc. The works. But I just recently tossed her on the dyno an she put 494rwhp 465trq. At 10.5 afr at wot. My friend shawn, shop owner an tuner said its running pig rich an that's why it sputters alittle at higher rpms. The previous owner tuned it before but without the fuel pump, fast fuel system green top injectors and msd ignition. What should I go with tuning wise. I'm super strapped being in hawaii and the only dyno I have is my friends local shop with him tuning. He's fimilar with tuning, he's tuned many cars just little ls1. He said he's getting hptuners soon but I'm wanting something now! Lol. Any help would be great guys. Aloha!
Old 01-30-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt even drive the car if the tune is off that much at WOT. If it's off that much at WOT it's definitely not tuned for driveability. Park and it and find a tuner
Old 02-08-2010, 04:06 AM
Staging Lane

update..

i changed the plugs, and noticed that 3 of my msd wires were touching the abs lines and header, I fixed that and it seemed to help alittle. Now it tends to just be at WOT at anything above 4500 rpm she shivers/stutters. Can it still be the tune? When I look at my msd coils, one of the seem to be open a small amount..tomarrow im goin to take both coils system off, clean them and put them back on tight, and make sure all the wires are clean and not touching. NGK tr55 seem to help alittle, but im goin to take the pcm out this week and prolly send it to steve and tunedbyfrost for a mail order, to see if that helps, because like i said earlier it was running 10.5 afr at upper rpms at wot, and it was sputtering still. Hopefully thats the issue, anyone else have any ideas? thanks guys!
Old 02-08-2010, 05:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scrap the MSD coils and put stock GM ones back on.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Don't have the stock ones.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Teching In

You won't hurt anything running that rich, just lose power. Could foul a plug I guess but they are $2. If your wires/coils are bad you'll know it (misfire, unburnt gas smell, flashing MIL, etc). They'll either make spark or they won't. I can't speak to the quality of the MSD coils but things like that (and wires, and plugs) don't make power... well plugs might make you lose power if they get too hot and cause knock, but that's another issue. At best they might make your idle a little smoother but you'll never gain any power over a functional stock ignition system.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:57 AM
Staging Lane

i noticed that my msd coil packs are loose on my heads..the bolts i guess came alittle loose...im goin to tighten them in the mourning...would that cause the high rpm stutter? would the car battery cause it? soon as my tax return gets here im getting a mail order tune from steve at tunedbyfrost.com cause all my feeling are telling me its a fuel problem/tune.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:30 PM
FormerVendor

Unfortunately MSD coils tend to cause misfires. Also they tend to split open when installed without the washers. I would try to find a set of GM coils and then get that WOT fueling leaned out.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

if car has not been tuned since adding the greentop injectors, you need to get that done asap.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lazyboi808
update..

i changed the plugs, and noticed that 3 of my msd wires were touching the abs lines and header, I fixed that and it seemed to help alittle. Now it tends to just be at WOT at anything above 4500 rpm she shivers/stutters. Can it still be the tune? When I look at my msd coils, one of the seem to be open a small amount..tomarrow im goin to take both coils system off, clean them and put them back on tight, and make sure all the wires are clean and not touching. NGK tr55 seem to help alittle, but im goin to take the pcm out this week and prolly send it to steve and tunedbyfrost for a mail order, to see if that helps, because like i said earlier it was running 10.5 afr at upper rpms at wot, and it was sputtering still. Hopefully thats the issue, anyone else have any ideas? thanks guys!
X3 on those MSD coils, they are absolute junk. Worst case scenario, go to a junkyard and get a set of stock ones. For now try getting yourself a tr6 spark plug and gapping them at .030, this may help for now.

Regarding your tuning issues: Depending on how long your tuner is going to wait to get HPT, a mail-order tune would be a good start and would get you in the ballpark until he is ready. I would also suggest getting the book Master Engine Tuner and reading up as it is the best book available on tuning. The book is easy to read and walks you through the tuning process using HPTuners in 3 case studies. This way you can learn about tuning yourself in case you have a hard time finding a tuner.
http://www.masportspeedshop.com/serv...-tuning/Detail
Old 02-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Yea. I'm new to the ls1 motor but I'm learning fast with all ur guys help. It much appreciated. Yea a few of the coils seem to be open alittle bit I just put tr55 plugs. Stock gap and cleared the msd wiring from metal cause it looked like they were arching too. It does run better and doesn't stumble as bad. But I can still notice it. An wen I do take it all the way an let off the gas it goes straight down and off lol. I have to touch the throttle abit before it dies after a hard acceleration. That's why I'm baby drivin her now until I get the mail order tune. I'm goin to also look for stock gm coils for the ls1. So I have to look for 98-02? Or only 98? They look so nice under the hood though lol jk. U would think for 600 bucks they would improve ur car. Not hurt it lol.