Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New F-Body Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New F-Body Owner

Hey All,
I just received official word this morning that the car I've been pursuing will now be MINE!!!! I'm picking it up this thursday. It's about a 3-1/2 hour drive. I'm pretty stoaked about it. I have a lot of plans for this car and am looking forward to seeing it in my driveway. It's fairly virgin, just catback, skip shift eliminated, and k&n filter so I won't have to "undo" anything. Immediately need a WS6/WS9 hood and short shifter. It's a 98 with only 55k miles! Comes with 2 sets of wheels....stockers with snow tires and C5 Z06 replicas with summer tires. Totally sweet!

Old 01-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Nice ride man. Welcome to the board.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:09 AM
Launching!

Thanks man. I've been searching within the CONUS for the past month and a half and this one was by far the best cared for in my price range. It's really clean.

Does anyone know if these guys came with blue calipers/rotors from the factory? The owner stated they did. I think they stand out waaay too much, and am thinking about painting them the same color as car or silver. The body color is dark enough it won't stand out so much. I'm still deciding what accent color to do. Either semi-gloss black or silver....but whatever it is, I'll do the same color "TRANS AM" caliper decal. If I paint them silver, put a body color TA decal on it. Is this a good idea, or should I keep these calipers for any reason if they did come from the factory that way? Buy new ones and keep the factory ones off to the side. Thoughts?
Old 01-31-2010, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98_TA_EMLC
Does anyone know if these guys came with blue calipers/rotors from the factory?
doubt it, go get some duplicolor caliper paint at your local auto parts store. id suggest silver, the blue is just ugly imo

nice car indeed! you will love it!

now start saving for some power adders
Old 01-31-2010, 01:37 AM
Launching!

Thanks Ellsworth. In due time my friend, in due time. I might be backwards, but I want to add just a little more looks to it first...make it mine, then LED interior (maybe stereo), then full suspension, and rear end. Then it'll be setup for some real power. I would like to do things in a good order so I don't break something I wasn't expecting to break. At least that's the overall plan so far. I'm sure I'll do intake/TB/lid/headers in between all that, but I would like to have a Moser 9" under me before I planted 400+hp. We'll see what happens.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks Ellsworth. In due time my friend, in due time. I might be backwards, but I want to add just a little more looks to it first...make it mine, then LED interior (maybe stereo), then full suspension, and rear end. Then it'll be setup for some real power. I would like to do things in a good order so I don't break something I wasn't expecting to break. At least that's the overall plan so far. I'm sure I'll do intake/TB/lid/headers in between all that, but I would like to have a Moser 9" under me before I planted 400+hp. We'll see what happens.
Nothing wrong with that approach. You would be surprised at the number of people who mod the car performance wise with limited suspension to get the power to the ground.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:24 PM
Launching!

sweet ride man welcome to the board
Old 01-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Quik Sand
Nothing wrong with that approach. You would be surprised at the number of people who mod the car performance wise with limited suspension to get the power to the ground.
Yeah, I see a lot of people doing that....the suspension is one thing to wait on, but the rear end is weak from what I understand....especially if you wanna run slicks on the 1/4 mile.

My plan for the car is to be a powerful DD, so I need it to be manageable, adding in some drag time and some autox as well. I'd like to see high 11's on that drag...and if I can get it to launch great with bolt ons and suspension/rear end, I think that'll be doable. So no need for gobs of power right off the bat. That'll grow as I learn to drive the car more.

Whatever the case, it's all idealogy right now. We'll see if reality follows the plan or not.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1freak33
sweet ride man welcome to the board
thanks freak!
Old 01-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Launching!

thanks freak!
lol yea yea

so wats ur performance mods u gonna do to it
Old 01-31-2010, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1freak33
so wats ur performance mods u gonna do to it
I actually have a phased parts list. It's primarily all the basics, getting a good platform, and it ends right at the rear end in order to start putting down some real power. I have heads/cam at the end right now cause honestly I don't understand everything yet and need to understand them better before I decide when to put them on. Anyways, below is my current list.

If anyone has any input, by all means provide some input. Thanks.

Front Brake Line Lock
Ripper Shifter or B&M
WS6store T56 Short Stick
Hurst Classic Style Shift ****
LS1 ASP Racing 25% Underdrive Crank/Alternator Pulleys
LS1 180 Degree Thermostat
Shock Tower Brace--Chrome Moly
LS6 Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Header Package--Increased Ground Clearance Long-tubes / stranoparts
DMH Performance Electric Dual E-Cutouts
Suncoast Creations Raptor Style Functional Ram Air Hood
Handling Package 5 / stranoparts
Subframe Connectors--3-point, Bolt-in
35/22mm Hollow Sway Bar Set
Torque Arm Relocation Kit - Manual
Torque Arm w/ Driveshaft Loop-- Tunnel Brace Mount
PHB Relocation kit
LCA/PHB package--Double Adjustable, Chrome-Moly / stranoparts
Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets - Bolt-In
Stage 3 Front Suspension Kit / stranoparts (tubular k-member, tubular uppper/lower A-arms
Brake Package 4: Rotors, Pads, SS Brake Line, 2 liters ATE Super Blue
LS1/LT1 BeCool Radiator (Manual Trans)
Clutch Kit w/Aluminum Flywheel: 7.6 Twin Disc Ceramic - (need more research on this)
Moser 9" Rear w/ no more than 4.10 gears....like I said...still needs to be streetable.
Heads/Cam (need more research here too)

This is all stuff I can do myself, so I should have about $20k total into the car at this point...including the cost of the car....should be a pretty decent ride for $20k

Maybe after all this I'll feel confident enough for a procharger and maybe build up the bottom end for NOS....Not much of a NOS fan though so we'll see when we get there.

Last edited by 98_TA_EMLC; 01-31-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Launching!

I actually have a phased parts list. It's primarily all the basics, getting a good platform, and it ends right at the rear end in order to start putting down some real power. I have heads/cam at the end right now cause honestly I don't understand everything yet and need to understand them better before I decide when to put them on. Anyways, below is my current list.

If anyone has any input, by all means provide some input. Thanks.

Front Brake Line Lock
Ripper Shifter or B&M
WS6store T56 Short Stick
Hurst Classic Style Shift ****
LS1 ASP Racing 25% Underdrive Crank/Alternator Pulleys
LS1 180 Degree Thermostat
Shock Tower Brace--Chrome Moly
LS6 Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Header Package--Increased Ground Clearance Long-tubes / stranoparts
DMH Performance Electric Dual E-Cutouts
Suncoast Creations Raptor Style Functional Ram Air Hood
Handling Package 5 / stranoparts
Subframe Connectors--3-point, Bolt-in
35/22mm Hollow Sway Bar Set
Torque Arm Relocation Kit - Manual
Torque Arm w/ Driveshaft Loop-- Tunnel Brace Mount
PHB Relocation kit
LCA/PHB package--Double Adjustable, Chrome-Moly / stranoparts
Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets - Bolt-In
Stage 3 Front Suspension Kit / stranoparts (tubular k-member, tubular uppper/lower A-arms
Brake Package 4: Rotors, Pads, SS Brake Line, 2 liters ATE Super Blue
LS1/LT1 BeCool Radiator (Manual Trans)
Clutch Kit w/Aluminum Flywheel: 7.6 Twin Disc Ceramic - (need more research on this)
Moser 9" Rear w/ no more than 4.10 gears....like I said...still needs to be streetable.
Heads/Cam (need more research here too)

This is all stuff I can do myself, so I should have about $20k total into the car at this point...including the cost of the car....should be a pretty decent ride for $20k

Maybe after all this I'll feel confident enough for a procharger and maybe build up the bottom end for NOS....Not much of a NOS fan though so we'll see when we get there.
sweet man like it u got ur mind set to wat u want so far hope it turns out good for u good luck with it