PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 EDIT anybody still using this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS1 EDIT anybody still using this?

I know its probly out dated but the program and laptop came with the car when i bought it. i have just recently finished a head and cam swap and now i need to tune.

I was just wondering if anybody still used this software and if they had a tune i could look at that includes long tubes, 1.5 heads, cam, CIA, ported and polished TB, and a 3" catless y-pipe.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, I am still using it. I purchased LS1Edit back in 2001/2002, it was the only full tuner in existence at the time. My version does not do any engine scanning. What about your version? To be able to tune properly, you will need to run scans as you drive (I do that with AutoTap). With a scanner, you will be able to tune the idle and the drivibility. You will need a wide band O2 sensor in order to tune the WOT stuff.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can use EFI LIVE as a scanner with an AutoTap. By far the best scanner around anyway and a bonus that it works with AutoTap.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah the version i have will do the scanning/data logging but my thing is i cant really understand the program.

I have always wanted to do this kind of tuning and i have been looking at this program without results. It has the users manual for lack of a better term loded to the computer as well but it says one thing and the program doesnt show the same, kind of frustrating.

I figure i am going to buy HP tuners and get the how to kit with it, si i can really start learning.

Specifically the long term fuel trim table in the boundaries section the help guide or how to guide it talkes about specific cells to modify but in the program it only has a few areas. The how to guide talkes about cells so and so through 13 and 13 through blah blah and more(not quite accurate there but you get the idea). it only gives me low, middle, and high to modify and in those i only have 2 cells to modify in each.

Think i could look at a file copy of one of your tunes to see if its different then what i have. maybe for now use your tune just copied to my program not to scavenge off your hard work though?

Last edited by usaf_hess; 02-01-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

So what do you want to tune? I think that doing some tuning to get all of the LTFTs between 0% and -5% would be a good start. What do you think?

Edit: I have version 1.54,,, what do you have?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Let me look and again i am very very new to writing custom tunes as i have just started doing it(i spose i just got my ***** about it) but i have always been iterested.

I have version 1.3 it will let me scan but i am not sure if that is the same as data log
Old 02-03-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Regular

Well, you do not "write" tunes (not like writing a computer program at all). What you do is alter values that appear in what looks like Excel spread sheets.

The first thing you need to do is to have a file which is your current "tune" in the PCM. For LS1Edit, the filename will have an extension ".ls1" . Do you have any ***.ls1 files on this computer?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah i have a couple stock files from the car with the original parameters and i figured a few things out last night but for now the damn computer i had the program on just took a crap on me and wont even F***** turn on

Yeah i said write tunes for lack of a better term i could think of at the moment.

EDIT: messed with a couple tables and loaded it into the car with some very very small changes, back to the drawing board there but i noticed my oil pressure doesnt register now what gives there?

Last edited by usaf_hess; 02-03-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

I do not think that the oil pressure not registering had anything to do with the computer.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any clues to what it could be then, the oil pump doesnt seem like it could crap out easy.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil pressure sender unit is bad, or the connector. Get it fixed right away before you run low on oil, actually loose pressure and don't know it. Edit.. shitcan it, cough up the $ for HP, that's what I did three years ago, no regrets.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats what i am doing and i thought the same as you did but it started makin a bad bad racket and shakin so i turned it off and havnt touched it since in frustration. Waitin a while before i dig into her.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

If " it started makin a bad bad racket and shakin " you may have lost oil pressure and have a problem, but my qoestion is did you lose pressure on the OE guage or were you trying to read oil pressure with Edit ? as I am not sure if you can read oil pressure/temp with Edit.
I am A4/STALLED/STOCK HEADS run mid 11's, if you think my tune would help PM me.
On my tune my SS will start and idle very well hot/cold/inside/outside.
Johnny
Old 02-12-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey man i appreciate it, i may talk with ya more about the tune but i might be gettin HP tuners or EFI live. I was watchin my OE guage but the thing that gets me is i had good pressure(actually high cause it was cold) then when i shut it off and loaded the diff tune in when i cranked it again no pressure.

I figure i either flattened some lifters cause of no pressure since they are hydraulic(doubtfull) and need the pressure to replenish(i think) or i spun either a rod bearing or main bearing. I doubt i bent a push rod cause they are stock length chrome molys.

As for now i picked up a 6.0 short block and i am gonna be tearin that down and gettin it machined for a diff build, this was kin of my kick in the *** and do it already.