Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Don't Know Nothing

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default I Don't Know Nothing

I know double negatives anr bad! LOL However i have a question. When I go to the Chevy Dealer and he hooks my car to his computer, he can see many things. the software that he has can I have that also to put on my computer? Is this what you call Tuning? Is there a specific thread that I can read first to help me understand about this software and how it works? Thank You Much.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wink

Google:- gm v8 pcm software tuning
Old 02-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

for actual tuning the programing has to be adjusted to make your particular combination work better.
The dealers generally do diagnosing of issues or problems with their software and usually do not tune. They may do a reflash on the tune to fix or update certain issues the factory approves, but that is not what is referred to as tuning.

Carlos
Old 02-01-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hobbesnmina2001 Yes that is what I am looking for, Dealer software so I can diagnose whatever issues I may have with my car. I have a scanner to read codes for the service engine light, but that is not enough. The dealer won't let me have a copy of their software.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1121
hobbesnmina2001 Yes that is what I am looking for, Dealer software so I can diagnose whatever issues I may have with my car. I have a scanner to read codes for the service engine light, but that is not enough. The dealer won't let me have a copy of their software.

Wanting the same as you and after doing some research I chose HP Tuners and I have been happy with the product and what it allows one to do.
You should understand there is a learning curve and courses like the Tuning School or Calibrated Success are worthwhile because they teach you about the software and tuning. Experience and education are inter-related and while it is not free or cheap to get these can save the newbie a lot of frustration, and time in the long run. My experience with dealers has not been a pleasant one when I needed service work in the past, so considering those things I find self education and tools worthwhile investments.