Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many ppl with race cars and no air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question How many ppl with race cars and no air filter?

Just curious, for those out there with all out race cars, do you run an air filter? I know almost all the stock eliminator cars have basically an open throttle body.

I've been thinking about modifying my current home made induction setup and my new design won't have room for any filter.

My car is a "track only" car. I'm not looking to gain performance from running no filter but gain from being able to ram more air in a new way. I currently have a K&N FIPK filter at the end of my home made intake, I will try to reuse it if possible.

Any thoughts?

Thx,
Lee
Old 12-23-2003, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many people pull their filters at the track on their daily drivers...I do. And yes, I pick up a little MPH like that too (perhaps helped by the FTRA kit.)
Old 12-24-2003, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've experimented with this. It seems everytime I've pulled it, I go faster for one pass and then the car slows down the next few. I'm wondering if I should have it tuned without the filter and see if that helps.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

i have seen a motor get messed up due to this. a bolt came loose from the ftra and got sucked into the motor and bent a wrist pin.

at least put a stocking over the maf to catch trash from going into the motor.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

my boyfriend drives his car as a daily driver and he takes out his air filter at the track but leaves it in for daily driving!
Old 12-30-2003, 10:20 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wink

Lee,

No air filter for me. Madman made me a killer air induction system. He cut out the space where the licence plate goes. Built a air box with a big tube that goes to the throttle body tube. We call this the Big Dick mod.

When is your 1st race of 2004? Mine is this weekend. 2nd Annual Hang Over Nationals at Lone Star Raceway(Sealy, Texas).

Coach
Old 10-09-2009, 01:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Coach 02 A3 Z/28
No air filter for me. Madman made me a killer air induction system. He cut out the space where the licence plate goes. Built a air box with a big tube that goes to the throttle body tube. We call this the Big Dick mod.
I know this thread is old but I'll be running a very similar setup pretty soon and this question has been bothering me for a while. I run at Sealy a lot and the bugs out there are ridiculous, I'm running some mesh over my inlets but anything smaller than 1/4" may still make it through. So how bad would it be if I sucked in a few small bugs?
Old 10-09-2009, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

I doubt chunks of bug are goint to cause much issue, I'd be more worried about rocks and bolts/screws.
Having said that, I (and many others) routinely race filterless then reinstall before driving home.
I do a have a mesh on my ram air hood though.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Here's how I would do it...
Attached Thumbnails How many ppl with race cars and no air filter?-kinsler.jpg  
Old 10-09-2009, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by James Montigny
I doubt chunks of bug are goint to cause much issue, I'd be more worried about rocks and bolts/screws.
Having said that, I (and many others) routinely race filterless then reinstall before driving home.
I do a have a mesh on my ram air hood though.
I have run without a filter before but it's the new intake setup that concerns me, seeing as the holes in my bumper will flow directly to the tb. Also there are no screws in the intake path and rocks really aren't too much of a concern unless I'm losing at just the right distance for the other car to throw a rock into one of the 6" holes, missing the screen, and bounce its way up 2' of piping

Originally Posted by Hector
Here's how I would do it...
I'd have to sell my damn car to do that
Old 10-09-2009, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't use a filter with my Dominator style TB. Though I have some foam and a carb tray that seat up against the cowl of the hood.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:47 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

I've never ran a air filter. I keep everything covered between rounds when working on stuff.
Definitely cover everything when towing, or when stored.
I'm sure with all the huge hood scoops out there, a bug or pebble has found it's way in there.
Probably not a good thing. Especially since you are so much closer to the ground, maybe a screen would be a good idea??
I was thinking about something myself, just never got around to it.
I believe there were some ideas on the bullet, that guys liked a lot.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:49 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I pull my filter but I have a stock MAF so I have a screen. I don't know if it helps or not the times between runs with or without were on two differant nights.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:06 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry, but it's just not worth the risk for what little ET gain may or may not be generated IMHO. We did run without a filter a few times when we first got started into the LS game and never saw a noticable improvement. It actually seemed like we slowed down a bit IMO.

There is just too much to risk (dirt, sand, etc) getting into the cylinders. These engines are not cheap. For guys that do stay on top of it and keep it covered when not needed that's all fine, but most do not and that's when the trouble starts. Most racers do run without any protection, but they also freshen their engine on a regular basis.

If you want to freshen your engine on a regular basis, toss that filter in the trash and good luck
Old 10-13-2009, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

i think i made a couple more HP on the dyno without it, I always take it out at the track
Old 10-13-2009, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I tried this at the track this weekend and I didn't gain anything.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
I'm sorry, but it's just not worth the risk for what little ET gain may or may not be generated IMHO. We did run without a filter a few times when we first got started into the LS game and never saw a noticable improvement. It actually seemed like we slowed down a bit IMO.

There is just too much to risk (dirt, sand, etc) getting into the cylinders. These engines are not cheap. For guys that do stay on top of it and keep it covered when not needed that's all fine, but most do not and that's when the trouble starts. Most racers do run without any protection, but they also freshen their engine on a regular basis.

If you want to freshen your engine on a regular basis, toss that filter in the trash and good luck
I'll only have this intake on at the track, I'll drive there with the lid setup on. I can't imagine there would be enough dust in the air to affect it much for the 20 minutes or so it will be running but I guess if it's a windy day I may have something to worry about.

Either way, the intake setup I want to do won't work with an air filter so I guess I'll just go test it out and see what happens.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

Ive had my car for almost 3 years, and have made probably 3000 passes with no airfilter, and forgot to put the filter in and drove 35 minutes home multiple times. My mass air flow really doesnt get that dirty, ive cleaned it once, and check it every once in awhile, but its usually really clean. I guess it might be a little different, but ive watched my dad and now me race our older muscle cars with no type of filter for 10 years and they are still running the same exact thing.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

Like a lot of guys here, I take mine out when I get to the track and put it back in for the drive back
Old 10-14-2009, 06:06 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I honestly wouldn't even bother, much like TXCAMSS said. It's not worth the risk to me.

Quick Reply: How many ppl with race cars and no air filter?