Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MUSTS of a T56 rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MUSTS of a T56 rebuild?

first and foremost, i do not have the option of buying the full tick rebuild kit, or i would just make it easy on myself.

first off i'm having a few problems with my transmission. I cant always shift into 3rd smoothly, it will either take a lot of effort or will not go in at all while under spirited driving of course. normal driving it will always go into gear. I'm suspecting a bent 3-4 shift fork and must replace it.

next is shifting into 5th. If i do not shift quickly into 5th from another gear it will not engage. i will have to bring the RPM's up in order to shift into 5th. Do i have to replace the entire 5-6 syncronizer assembly? i also have the same problem in reverse, but only somewhat stubborn, do i have to replace the entire reverse syncronizer as well?

aside from those parts is there anything else that is a MUST to replace while i am having it rebuilt?

Thanks for your help
Old 02-01-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey man I feel ur pain. Any problems with any other gears? It may be the synchros or u may b lucky and it's just blocker rings. The reverse synchro can be flipped over(u only use one side of it flip it to the fresh side). A complete set of blockers run about $170 the synchros about $120 but I'd wait till u had it apart to order parts if u can only make 1 upgrade I would do the updated blocker rings since u will prob have to change them all anyway.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:27 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, when you rebuild a T56, you usually replace the bearings, the sincros, and the sliders and keys can be and are recommended to be replaced with brass sliders from the plastic and the keys be replaced with billet instead of the stamped pieces, the steel fork is always a plus if you are a true row boater that beats on the thing from time to time.

That makes the T56 WAY better from the hard charging stand point and is pretty good on the wallet without going into the high dollar shafts and what not.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh yes it gets beat on, lol what i have listed is all that i have noticed of being wrong with it. I have 100,000 miles on it now and is a daily driver if that helps decide what needs replaced, and also means i dont have the time to wait for parts.

I'm guessing that the 3rd gear shift fork is bent and i would like to have a steel one anyways so its less prone to happening again.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Mine would shift fine, but randomly it would pop out of 3rd while just crusing around. but I broke a key and got it stuck in 4th when running it hard once.

when I rebuilt it i did the following
Bellet keys
steel 3-4 shift fork
3-4 slider assembly
sycros
and a new 3rd gear.

worked like champ after that!

Quick Reply: MUSTS of a T56 rebuild?