looking for handgun...is it possible if i am only 20

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for handgun...is it possible if i am only 20

I have read that through a private sale, I could legally purchase and own a handgun. Can someone please tell me if there is a legal way for a 20 year old to purchase a handgun. Thanks for your help . If you are selling a handgun let me know.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought that you could own a hand gun at 18 but you just couldn't buy it until your 21.. Idk I'm only 17 so I haven't looked into it yet, I just remember some guys at work talking about it..
Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

come up here to one of these Oklahoma gun shows and go to a private exhibitor, they'll sell ya a handgun i guarantee it. bought my first handgun at 17(showed him a Horrible fake id though of course).....
Old 02-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Launching!

yea i also heard you could own it at 18 , but not buy one untill 21. which means you would have to do a private sale I think. I just wanted to checkk
Old 02-01-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

i know you can get a chl at 18 but can't buy a handgun until you're 21... i'm not sure about owning a handgun at 18 though, i thought that only applied to rifles or shotguns but i could be wrong... but if it's just through some random individual i don't see what would stop you assuming they are willing to sell to you... if you go into a store they would turn you down
Old 02-01-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

even through a private sale, a FFL transfer should be done, legally. The FFL agent will ask for identification. You can own rifles and shotguns at 18, just not handguns. Although, if a parent or someone gave it to you, I dont see a problem, just dont get caught with it...
Old 02-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Teching In

not sure how it is there but in indiana you can own and carry a gun with a conseal carriers permit under the age of 21, to obtain under 21 the gun it has to be gifted to you buy a parent or parental figure, but you cannot buy ammo under the age of 21
Old 02-02-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

wow, the amount of ignorance/guessing/hearsay/etc. in this thread is pretty staggering.....especially when the answer to the question is a 1-to-2 minute google search away......

texas handgun laws

basically, you can buy/own ANY gun at the age of 18, assuming you don't have any felonies and can provide proof of I.D......for handguns, you can't carry them publically (i.e., no concealed carry) until you're 21. transporting & carrying are different from each other, so don't be too worried about getting popped for something if you just bought a handgun and are simply transporting it home.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
wow, the amount of ignorance/guessing/hearsay/etc. in this thread is pretty staggering.....especially when the answer to the question is a 1-to-2 minute google search away......

texas handgun laws

basically, you can buy/own ANY gun at the age of 18, assuming you don't have any felonies and can provide proof of I.D......for handguns, you can only carry them publically (i.e., no concealed carry) until you're 21. transporting & carrying are different from each other, so don't be too worried about getting popped for something if you just bought a handgun and are simply transporting it home.
not to but what kind of wheels are those? are they staggered, and do you have some more pics of diff angles? they look good on your car!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

thanks man, i love them

no, they're not staggered, they're 17x9.5 on all 4 corners....i updated my signature with a link to my wheels thread with more info/pics
Old 02-02-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

texas handgun laws

basically, you can buy/own ANY gun at the age of 18, assuming you don't have any felonies and can provide proof of I.D......for handguns, you can't carry them publically (i.e., no concealed carry) until you're 21. transporting & carrying are different from each other, so don't be too worried about getting popped for something if you just bought a handgun and are simply transporting it home.
private sale only, federal law requires 21+ to purchase from a licensed dealer.

ME, I would never sell to anyone directly, I would ALWAYS give to a FFL agent and he/she can transfer to the buyer. I don't know how many other sellers are paranoid/ignorant of the responsibilities of selling a handgun, but I wouldn't...
Old 02-02-2010, 06:50 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Handgun sales are limited to those 21 and up. If someone sells one to you privately, they are doing so illegaly. Don't get caught up in that kind of crap, just wait till you are 21.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LEO
Handgun sales are limited to those 21 and up. If someone sells one to you privately, they are doing so illegaly. Don't get caught up in that kind of crap, just wait till you are 21.
god. *******. damnit!!!

i really wish people would stop spreading misinformation like this when they obviously don't know what they're talking about. according to federal law, with just a few certain restrictions (like selling across state lines) private sellers can sell to someone age 18+, they do not have to be 21: Sales between individuals

Federal law allows the sale of a long gun or a handgun between private parties of the same state as long as the purchaser is 18 years of age.
you only have to be 21 when acquiring from dealers.

state laws will vary from state to state, but federally, you can legally sell any gun that is not outlawed for use by the general public (or requires a special permit to purchase/own) to anyone 18+.

if you still don't believe this information, just because it's on wikipedia, then quit being lazy and do like i did and actually find it on the ATF's own website. i'll even make it easy for you.....click HERE and go to page 155, section 3, titled "FEDERAL AGE RESTRICTIONS".

3. FEDERAL AGE RESTRICTIONS

Federal law prohibits Federal firearms licensees from selling or delivering any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than 18 years of age, and, if the firearm is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than 21 years of age. (18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478.99(b)(1).)

Ammunition interchangeable between rifles and handguns (such as .22 caliber rimfire) may be sold to an individual 18 years of age, but less than 21, if the licensee is satisfied that the ammunition is being acquired for use in a rifle.

Additionally, it generally is unlawful for a person to transfer a handgun to a juvenile (a person less than 18 years of age) and it generally is unlawful for a juvenile to possess a handgun. Exceptions are provided for the transfer of a handgun to and possession by a juvenile for the purposes of employment,
ranching, farming, target practice or hunting as provided for in 18 U.S.C. 922(x).
now please people.....stop talking when you don't know what you're talking about.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Banned

god. *******. damnit!!!

i really wish people would stop spreading misinformation like this when they obviously don't know what they're talking about. according to federal law, with just a few certain restrictions (like selling across state lines) private sellers can sell to someone age 18+, they do not have to be 21: Sales between individuals

you only have to be 21 when acquiring from dealers.

state laws will vary from state to state, but federally, you can legally sell any gun that is not outlawed for use by the general public (or requires a special permit to purchase/own) to anyone 18+.

if you still don't believe this information, just because it's on wikipedia, then quit being lazy and do like i did and actually find it on the ATF's own website. i'll even make it easy for you.....click HERE and go to page 155, section 3, titled "FEDERAL AGE RESTRICTIONS".

now please people.....stop talking when you don't know what you're talking about.
A buddy of mine that works gun shows watched an undercover cop arrest a guy for selling a handgun to a 20 year old. Arrested the 20 yo too. Last year. It was an individual seller just making a sale in an isle, not a dealer. Even is its the law, that doesnt mean that cops, judges or jury's understand it. Now, that being said, Ive carried a handgun in my truck since I was 14. Just dont get caught. If you are under 21, get a friend or parent to buy it for you.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Redneck2
A buddy of mine that works gun shows watched an undercover cop arrest a guy for selling a handgun to a 20 year old. Arrested the 20 yo too. Last year. It was an individual seller just making a sale in an isle, not a dealer. Even is its the law, that doesnt mean that cops, judges or jury's understand it. Now, that being said, Ive carried a handgun in my truck since I was 14. Just dont get caught. If you are under 21, get a friend or parent to buy it for you.
that 20-year-old could have had a criminal past that precluded him from being able to legally purchase a handgun for all we know, and could have been trying to get around that fact by buying from someone he knew would likely not run a background check....who knows?

if someone is worried about getting arrested for buying a handgun when they're under the age of 21, then they should print out the law and carry it with them to prove that they are within their federal rights to purchase the gun....assuming there's not something else in their past that makes it illegal.

it kinda works the same way as the photographer's rights.....many people assume that it's illegal for someone to take photos in certain areas, or for people to take your picture without their consent, when in reality, it usually is not.....which doesn't stop photographers from being harrassed....but if you're armed with the knowledge to prove it otherwise (and are respectful when doing so), you'll usually be able to avoid a lot of problems.

obviously, the best option is to just go talk to a lawyer to find out what is and what isn't legal for you....after all, there may be some stupid loophole that isn't made blatantly obvious, and they should be able to find that out for you much easier than you or i are able to.....but having read the ATF's own document, i wouldn't think twice about trying to purchase a handgun from a private seller if i were still under 21.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:21 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

I stand corrected you can legally own a handgun at 18, you just can't buy ammo for it or carry it. The OP seems like he is in a rush to get one for some reason or another and I doubt he is just an avid collector of firearms.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chevy0128
I have read that through a private sale, I could legally purchase and own a handgun. Can someone please tell me if there is a legal way for a 20 year old to purchase a handgun. Thanks for your help . If you are selling a handgun let me know.
Where do you live?
Old 02-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Launching!

i live in san antonio,tx
Old 02-03-2010, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

my understanding is that minors can purchase handguns from non-ffl dealers. an example would be off of this forum or craigslist. most gunshows and gunshops for that matter would require the purchaser to be 21 or older. a minor cannot carry or travel with a weapon either. once he turns 21, he will be able to transport it(carry in his car), but not carry it until he gets a CHL.

so in a nutshell you should probably wait on the gun. not only will it be expensive, but you'll be restricted to keeping it in a case at your house. once you get one though, you'll need to be sure to practice alot. hitting a target, even a close one, is alot harder than it looks. trying to hit a threat, for instance, an intruder, is even moreso. ever seen the unforgiven? lastly though, you should realize before buying a weapon the implications of taking someones life. even in self defense, there are certain emotional, psychological, and even legal repercussions. just make sure you can deal with those before even thinking about purchasing a gun.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
lastly though, you should realize before buying a weapon the implications of taking someones life. even in self defense, there are certain emotional, psychological, and even legal repercussions. just make sure you can deal with those before even thinking about purchasing a gun.
Yeah but dead men don't tell lies.