Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust tips?

Where are you guys getting your tips? Suggestions welcome on what you all think would look good

This is what I have now, they are Magnaflow rolled tip tips. Seems to me they also hide the aggressive sound of my v2 (which I hate). Also removed that badge so it has a nice clean look now

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-01-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mecham tips all the way on a TA...they are very pricey though. 180.00 a pair plus shipping on top of that.. if you like them pm me and i can get you a much better deal then that retail price. I know a guy Hahaah
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust tips?-tatipsl.jpg  
Old 02-02-2010, 03:07 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks sorta silly on the T/A's when you run a dumped exhaust.

Dont:

Run dual/dual tips.
4.5" non oval style.

They look ricey and or stock.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by zaner
Mecham tips all the way on a TA...they are very pricey though. 180.00 a pair plus shipping on top of that.. if you like them pm me and i can get you a much better deal then that retail price. I know a guy Hahaah
Hmm those look pretty good. I just wonder if the tips I have now are inhibiting the aggressive tones I hear from other cammed cars or if its the stock catback with magnaflow muffler. Corsa clones are a possibility. Where are you guys getting your tips (those of you that bought tips that didnt come with your catbacks)?
Old 02-02-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say it's probably your catback that's affecting the sound. It's the piping that really opens the exhaust up and gives it that nice tone.

Why do you not like your V2?

I say Corsa clones are the way to go on T/A's, hands down. You should also do the CETA mod...
Old 02-02-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by egott_91
I say it's probably your catback that's affecting the sound. It's the piping that really opens the exhaust up and gives it that nice tone.

Why do you not like your V2?

I say Corsa clones are the way to go on T/A's, hands down. You should also do the CETA mod...
No I like my cam....just hate how quiet my car is despite having it. What about having my local exhaust guy fab up a 3" catback and weld in a bullet or some variation?
Old 02-02-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quik Sand
No I like my cam....just hate how quiet my car is despite having it. What about having my local exhaust guy fab up a 3" catback and weld in a bullet or some variation?
Aaaah, gotcha. Misread.

You could have them do that. I have a LM2 right now but I'm putting a Borla XR1 muffler in place of the LM2 muffler to make a BorlaMouth. That'd be an inexpensive catback, or you could find a used catback in the classifieds. But I'm gonna say it's probably the stock catback holding back the sound. Or you could just get a cut-out and call it a day. Lol.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I say Corsa clones are the way to go on T/A's, hands down.
I agree. I thought about which tips to get for a long time, and decided the Corsa clones look best on a TA:

BTW, tips affect the sound, but only a smidgen.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Aaaah, gotcha. Misread.

You could have them do that. I have a LM2 right now but I'm putting a Borla XR1 muffler in place of the LM2 muffler to make a BorlaMouth. That'd be an inexpensive catback, or you could find a used catback in the classifieds. But I'm gonna say it's probably the stock catback holding back the sound. Or you could just get a cut-out and call it a day. Lol.
I have a cutout....just wanting the car to sound more aggressive when its not open. Part of it has to be the Magnaflow muffler I swapped in for my Flowmaster. Flowmaster sounded much better with this setup (with my old 212 cam, not the V2), but was horrible flow wise. Probably do a different catback and tips. Still wanting more info on where to get tips
Old 02-03-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. Corsa clones all the way.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quik Sand
I have a cutout....just wanting the car to sound more aggressive when its not open. Part of it has to be the Magnaflow muffler I swapped in for my Flowmaster. Flowmaster sounded much better with this setup (with my old 212 cam, not the V2), but was horrible flow wise. Probably do a different catback and tips. Still wanting more info on where to get tips
Like I said in my previous post... we are local to each other, if you dig the Mecham big oval ones. I can get them new rediculously cheap compared to there retail price. Cheaper than the corsa clones.... if you like the
corsa clones I can get those local too... pm me on what you want
Old 02-03-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Take a look at Stainless Works , they've got some really nice exhaust tips.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on stainless works. sick tips.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Think Im going to just get a Hooker catback. Anyone know if it flows comparably to the Magnaflow? Checked out SW and didnt like what I saw, but I appreciate the suggestion. The what I would guess is 4" Corsa clones are winning me over.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Teching In

If Corsa clones look similiar to the real ones I'm sure you would be happy with them. They fill in the rear bumper exhaust cut outs really nicely.

I realize a Corsa catback is probably twice the price of a hooker catback, but it may be worth considering. As I'm sure you have read on other Corsa threads, they don't have the drone inside the car that a lot of others do and they absolutely scream at WOT.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDN01Hawk
If Corsa clones look similiar to the real ones I'm sure you would be happy with them. They fill in the rear bumper exhaust cut outs really nicely.

I realize a Corsa catback is probably twice the price of a hooker catback, but it may be worth considering. As I'm sure you have read on other Corsa threads, they don't have the drone inside the car that a lot of others do and they absolutely scream at WOT.

Same with Magnaflow CB.

Hookers loudness is comparable to Magnaflow, but I like the sound of Magnaflow better. Never heard Corsa in person, but way to expensive when you can get a SS catback that performs just as well if not better for 1/2 the price.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Certainly not trying to get into a which cat-back sounds better discussion - everyone has different likes/dislikes which is great.

I have a Corsa on my h/c/i Firehawk and honestly when on the highway at 1700-1800 rpm cruise it is louder than stock of course - but not by a lot - again without the drone.

I also happen to have a Magnaflow catback on my truck - 2001 silverado stock 5.3. I do like the sound of it, however, the drone at highway cruise is so bad that I am going to be adding a resonator. I haven't been in an f-body with the Magnaflow so can't comment directly on its sound and I'm sure the truck bed, etc... adds more to the drone that what a car would.

I realize the Corse is top end expensive, but if I could do it all over again with my truck I would have spent the extra money and got the Corsa.

Quick Reply: Exhaust tips?