Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone use HP Tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone use HP Tuners?

Can anyone explain how difficult it is to use HP tuners? A guy at work told me thats what he uses and nothing else. In fact he said he can use his to tune as well as a dyno! Is that true or is this guy just blowing smoke? If its possible for anyone to learn how to use it with a little research I might think about buying it... but is it worth it?

Thanks Guys
Old 02-03-2010, 11:12 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brian'sCharlotte(TA)
Can anyone explain how difficult it is to use HP tuners? A guy at work told me thats what he uses and nothing else. In fact he said he can use his to tune as well as a dyno! Is that true or is this guy just blowing smoke? If its possible for anyone to learn how to use it with a little research I might think about buying it... but is it worth it?

Thanks Guys
Unless you have some super bad *** tuner in your area it's a must to have hp tuners IMO.

I am always learning & tweaking on my cars. I consider myself old school yet I have learned how to tune cars pretty good. I can definately make them fast & get good gas mileage. Idle tuning is still confusing to me but I will learn.

GM PCMs & HP tuners are amazing to me. I can run a 4l80e, a turbo, 80# injectors, 9 second 1/4 miles, AND get 25 miles per gallon.

Have fun:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/index.php
Old 02-03-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

depends on how you learn.

I tinkered with the program, and searched the HPT website for three years, and learned some of the applications.

Then I attended the Tuning School in Tampa, and that put it together for me and really taught me how to use the program.

Since attending the basic school two years ago and the Advanced school this year, Ive learned a great deal.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes just takes a little bit of mechanical ability to understand what you are changing and how it is affecting your car.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Brian,

I use EFI Live and I agree that if you are going to make changes to the car, it's better to know how to tune it yourself.

It takes a lot of effort to understand but it is rewarding when its done.

You can download the demo program here if you want to see what is in it and whats possible with it. Good luck on your choice.

http://www.efilive.com/

Brad
Old 02-03-2010, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

UPS delivered HP Tuners to me today, wish me luck
Old 02-03-2010, 11:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9911UZ28
UPS delivered HP Tuners to me today, wish me luck
lol

yes anyone can use it.... it just takes alot of reading.

im still trying to crack MAF tuning... it doesnt make sense to me yet.... I might end up going Speed Density before I even figure it out!!! HP tuners allows changing the stock PCM to SD and allows tuning with the car running.... if you get the Pro-version that is
Old 02-04-2010, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

Had mine a little over six months. I have a long way to go, but I've learned a lot. Really glad I bought it. It's great that you can change your tune for different conditions.
You can usually find a good deal on a used interface. Just get the pro, and put some money aside for a wideband.

Tony
Old 02-04-2010, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Had mine about a week. I like it just watch when you go to liecense a vehicle i have already wasted 2 credits.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I was thinking of going Pro and just figuring out how to use it.

like they say, "Go big or go home!" starting to sound like what CODE4 said is true... "must to have hp tuners IMO."
Old 05-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

ive been losing sleep trying to decide if i want to buy hpt!!! the nearest tuner is 10 hrs away so i dont really have a choice, BUT i dont want to drop 600 bucks just to find out its over my ability. i have no fear when it comes to tearing in to my motor with wrenches, but using a computer is kinda scary. ive been spending a couple weeks researching it and from what ive read hpt looks to be the most user friendly. but when i see examples of the program it looks like a foreign language to me. i really,really want(need) to learn this stuff because i didnt buy car just to leave it stock!

i plan on doing a fm turbo build this summer and the only thing thats stopped me from ordering parts is the tuning side. i was just gunna do the hole build and then trailer it to vancouver and have it tuned, but quickly decided against that for many reasons. the main one being, i dont want to go on a two day road trip whenever i change somthing on the car. on the stuff ive done in the past (SBC's and BBC's) its always been AIR/FUEL/SPARK and thats it. now theres so much more to it.

i dont really no where this is going,lol. i guess i just need some encouragement or something, someone to say"i was in the same boat'' or ''i didnt know a thing about tuning either''. ANY INPUT, SUGGESTIONS, or QUESTIONS would be very helpful. i could talk for hrs about this.lol but i guess il stop here.

thanks
Old 05-05-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBthe4dH8r
on the stuff ive done in the past (SBC's and BBC's) its always been AIR/FUEL/SPARK and thats it. now theres so much more to it.
Hi Bob [the ford hater]...

Nothing's changed, it still is air/fuel/spark...

Everyone who can tune was a noob at one time...

There is a steep learning curve to it, but with reading, thinking, questioning, practicing, the learning curve gets flattened to a large extent...

You have to read alot and ask questions until you understand exactly what's going on (regardless of driving people blue in the face... you want to learn, right...?)

Sounds difficult... yes, but it's do-able.

Some people are able to learn at their own pace, while others learn better with a class.

And it beats taking a 2 day trip just to edit your calibration.

And just as you have in the past changed a jet or a weight, you want to have the same ability with the computer controlled stuff... this is the nature of doing mods.

Oh, and this is going to be your new hobby... but it's very much car-related, so that's fine.

And it still is air/fuel/spark...
Old 05-06-2010, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

when you say 'classes' do you mean online or live?

i dont think theres any live classes around here. i think.....I KNOW i could do it if i had someone to watch go through the basics and tell me what everything is/does. then the research and reading i do would make more sense instead of confuse me more. it kinda feels like im getting ready to take a calculus class but i only know algebra, and theres no theacher, just books to explain it. lol.

i saw a dvd called 'GM efi tuning for beginners' in summit but it was like 250 bucks or something.has anyone else seen it?is it worth it?

anyway...thanks joecar. anything helps
Old 05-06-2010, 05:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joecar
Hi Bob [the ford hater]...

Nothing's changed, it still is air/fuel/spark...

Everyone who can tune was a noob at one time...

There is a steep learning curve to it, but with reading, thinking, questioning, practicing, the learning curve gets flattened to a large extent...

You have to read alot and ask questions until you understand exactly what's going on (regardless of driving people blue in the face... you want to learn, right...?)

Sounds difficult... yes, but it's do-able.

Some people are able to learn at their own pace, while others learn better with a class.

And it beats taking a 2 day trip just to edit your calibration.

And just as you have in the past changed a jet or a weight, you want to have the same ability with the computer controlled stuff... this is the nature of doing mods.

Oh, and this is going to be your new hobby... but it's very much car-related, so that's fine.

And it still is air/fuel/spark...
True that Joe!

I'm 42 years old, so I started out old school... carbs and distributers.

When I put a cam in my 02' TA, and had a guy tune it, I wasn't happy with what he did... So, I bought my own EFILive and a wideband, and started learning. Soon, I was working for a local shop part time (in place of the guy whose tune I wasn't happy with). Since then, I've tuned hundreds of LSx cars/trucks... N/A, 2/3 bar FI, nitrous...

I quit working for the shop, and I'm doing some on my own these days - but the point is, it's just fuel, air and spark - and an old dog can learn new tricks...

Quick Reply: Can anyone use HP Tuners?