New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 LS1 Camaro: Looking to invest 2k in mods...for now

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2000 LS1 Camaro: Looking to invest 2k in mods...for now

I just purchased my first muscle car a 2000 A4 Camaro. Beautiful ride with 36k on her. Original owner did a few mods:

Catback 3in Corsa Exhaust
6 Piston Brakes (drilled rotors)
Alarm & Remote Start

I have a little over $2k that I am ready to invest to give her a little more off the line. My plan is as follows...

Pacesetter coated LTs w/ 3in midpipe
Yank Torque Converter (still researching the exact specs on this) I dont need an insane stall

Beyond this I was looking at other bolt ons... ( I plan to do all the work myself)

Do pulleys really net [I]that[I] much power?

The car is not my DD but I do intend to drive it reguarly....I work 5 miles from my home so I wouldnt mind taking it to work on a sunny Friday.

I am looking for any and all suggestions. IF you had 2k where would you start?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

long tubes, ls6 intake, tune, 3600 stall and gears. and TIRES! youre gna need them, lol
Old 02-03-2010, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

^ wouldnt do intake untill heads and cam (IMO) but i guess it wouldnt hurt. i would get full exhaust tune suspension upgrade (sfc for sure!!-infact do that first) tires and stall. set you up reall nice for a head and cam package. also if u dont have the slp lid or some aftermarket lid get that first. these ls1 need to breathe more than anything and gm did a good job choking the **** out of them.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

also anything that takes away from rotating weight like flywheel/flexplate drive shaft harmonic balancer pully will yield usable power but u will prob not notice anything from just the pully
Old 02-03-2010, 09:24 PM

Appreciate all the input. Def going with the LTs first, going to order a pair tonight, SFCs as well.

After that I think I will go with cams and gears. I should be able to do all of that well within my budget. I am antcipating these mods will bring some serious gain in HP.

Prob need a tune after.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

long tubes yes cam and gears not yet. the cam can not be and should not be just thrown into ur engine without supporting components ie heads. the duration and lift on an aftermarket cam needs to be supported by different springs,etc in the heads which can run well into 3k alone so that should really be one of the last mods u do. back to gears.. a stall will do so much more than gears ever will. u will notice up to 4-5 tenth increase in ur drag times just from a well planned stall and gears mayb 2 tenths if that. just take it slow you dont want to put anything in without researching it and looking for supporting mods. the car acts as one unit not by different parts so build ur car with that in mind
Old 02-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cure07
long tubes yes cam and gears not yet. the cam can not be and should not be just thrown into ur engine without supporting components ie heads. the duration and lift on an aftermarket cam needs to be supported by different springs,etc in the heads which can run well into 3k alone so that should really be one of the last mods u do. back to gears.. a stall will do so much more than gears ever will. u will notice up to 4-5 tenth increase in ur drag times just from a well planned stall and gears mayb 2 tenths if that. just take it slow you dont want to put anything in without researching it and looking for supporting mods. the car acts as one unit not by different parts so build ur car with that in mind
OP, this guy's info is pretty good, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with cam only especially as a potent street cruiser.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i love my cam only car.

OP you might wanna look into a shifter, lid & filter, EGR/AIR delete, LT's w/ O/R y-pipe. i prefer running catless, screw emissions. also search for the free mods thread.

and yes what was said about gears...it is way to soon for you to do gears. hell i'm not gonna even think about gears in my car till i get a new rear end that can handle them.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

What suspension mods do you have on the car?

All the power in the world doesn't do you any good if you can't make it stick
Old 02-04-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have 6 piston front brakes from the previous owner, and he didnt do anything with the suspension? It seems like you'd have more than stock suspension if he wanted to do a huge upgrade on the braking system.

If you have a good suspension, go for LT's, stall, lid, ls6 intake, a good dyno tune

Otherwise, I'd get LT's, good shocks, swaybars, stall, and tune. SFC's aren't really necessary, it's the shitty stock shock's that make the car feel lose. SLP Bilsteins or Koni's would be a good choice.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would look into getting stainless steel headers to go with that Corsa exhaust. American Racing and Kooks are two good brands to check out.

Quick Reply: 2000 LS1 Camaro: Looking to invest 2k in mods...for now