New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Mileage? Reliability? for Heads Cam LS1

Old 02-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Mileage? Reliability? for Heads Cam LS1

Hey guys im getting ready to check out a 98 WS6 LS1 ..however it has a MS3 cam and 215cc trick flow heads and bolt ons .. its putting down about 450 rwhp tuned .. i was wondering what you guys thought about fuel economy on this beast and if its still a daily driver setup !!! thanks guys i appreciate it
Old 02-04-2010, 01:07 AM
TECH Regular

my buddy runs an ms3 and stock 243's (ls6 heads)...his is a 6 speed and it borderline so far as drivability he kinda wants to go a little smaller with the cam but iv driven it and i would choose to leave it...iv heard both opinions on here for that topic so it just depends on what you like....if you have an auto id want at least a 3600 stall with it.....so far as fuel economy he averages 16.9 once and like 17.5 to the gallon in the two times he tested it...the driving was about have in the city and half on runs going about 60...personally id leave the cam in it, if it still drives you nuts in a year then change it....one things for certain...everyone who has had their car for a few months or their setup for a few months wishes they were making more power. no matter how much power they aready have they want to step it up....lets put it this way, i hear of about 6 people talking about steping up to an ms3 for every 1 i hear deciding to step down...strong cam, nice heads, thats prolly a strong running car...in 11's
Old 02-04-2010, 01:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you might want to consider down grading the cam slightly. IMO the ms3 is a little much for a DD. also its a very high range cam, i think you'd be happier with a torquer v3 maybe a v2 if u are that concerned. also how many miles does it have on the motor and how many miles are on that set up. eventually valvetrain wear will be an issue(depending on how it was driven) also if u put too sticky of a tire on it at the track u will most probably blow that 10 bolt sky high.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:55 AM
TECH Regular

i agree with brianrs/ss about the ms3 being harder on valvetrain...something to consider, looking at springs lasting 20k or so if u abuse the car
however, i agree and disagree with the statement about blasting the 10-bolt sky high....if you launch it at anywhere above like 4350 or so hes 100% right in my opinion...thats right around where that car comes alive(at least my buddies)
but if you launch that car at like 3k or even up to 3600 where you start to flirt....your not in my opinion gonna have any more problems than a guy with a smaller aftermarket cam....one things for sure, if you have the cash build up that drivetrain....otherwise three options...launch at a low rpm, stay on a street tire, or blow your **** up.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Teching In

thanx guys !! yea i forgot to mention that it is a 6 speed .. the car currently has 93k miles and all the upgraded parts have 15k miles .. i do live in new york to as well .. i was also possibly considering a LS1 GTO since i seem to here there pretty good daily drivers !? .. you guys have a take on that ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas Mileage? Reliability? for Heads Cam LS1