Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Black box...

Old 12-24-2003, 01:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Black box...

Ok, so this weekend I was swapping out my monsoon cd player for a rockford, and upon trying to get the new cd player to fit, I realize there is a box in the way. So I remove the box and give it a good inspection. It is a plain black box, not very big, and it resided just behind the factory monsoon cd player. Is this the black box that logs information before a crash? I originally thought it might be the air bag controller but I discovered it to be located behind the shifter. If this isnt the black box, what is it and what does it do?
Old 12-24-2003, 08:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

That would be your DRL controller.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

Ah ok, thanks. Any clue as to where the real black box is located? (Just out of curiousity)
Old 12-24-2003, 03:29 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

The real "black box" is built into the engine computer.

--VIP1
Old 12-25-2003, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought it was under the console? Or is that in the vette? Maybe Im wrong.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I thoght the black was under the driver's side seat.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:57 PM
Restricted User

lol sounds like the black box is a mystery lol
Old 12-26-2003, 04:05 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The BCM (Body Control Module) is the "black box" that records data from the last five seconds before a crash. It is located under the right side of the dash near the back of the glovebox.

BTW, the NTSB has been putting "black boxes" with audio recording in pickup trucks for the last few years in an effort to study the driver's reactions in the moments before a fatal crash. In 49 states they found that the driver's last words were "Oh, ****!!!" but in Georgia they found that the last words were "Hold my beer - watch this!".
Old 12-26-2003, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
BTW, the NTSB has been putting "black boxes" with audio recording in pickup trucks for the last few years in an effort to study the driver's reactions in the moments before a fatal crash. In 49 states they found that the driver's last words were "Oh, ****!!!" but in Georgia they found that the last words were "Hold my beer - watch this!".

Old 12-27-2003, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The black box is under the center console. Its not really black, its silver.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/91289-black-box-questions.html

You can see it here with a yellow label on it:

Too bad there wasn't a way to remove it. I don't like recording the last seconds of impact. They can use it to convict you court if you were speeding and caused an accident.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

Are you positive thats it? My car has that, but when I looked at it I swear it was labelled air bag controller...
Old 12-28-2003, 02:10 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rodent
The black box is under the center console. Its not really black, its silver.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91289

You can see it here with a yellow label on it:

Too bad there wasn't a way to remove it. I don't like recording the last seconds of impact. They can use it to convict you court if you were speeding and caused an accident.
Thats the air bag control module. The black box as stated above is the "BCM" or body control module which is clipped in underneath the dash behind the glove box.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I told you it was in the console.

Im sure that there is a way to kill it, someone should pull the +12 wire and see if the car still runs, I be it would.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Time2Kill
Thats the air bag control module. The black box as stated above is the "BCM" or body control module which is clipped in underneath the dash behind the glove box.
The air bag control module is the black box. This is what records the data during a crash.

The BCM controls the seat belts, interior lighting, fuel enable circuit, power door locks, keyless entry, retained accessory power (pwr windows, radio etc.), your rear hatch, the IP and the audible warnings for a start but it does not record anything. It might be black but is not really considered the secret "black box" that GM has been installing in all their cars.

http://camarossworld.com/FAQ/Camaro%20SS%20FAQs/#S2.4
2.4) What is the "black box?"

The "black box" is a device that records automotive crash data.

It's called a black box because because it performs some of the same functions as the "flight data recorders" used in passenger airlines. (Those are called black boxes because at one time they were black.) At the time of an event that triggers the airbags, the SDM stores the previous five seconds worth of the following information:

Acceleration/deceleration

Vehicle speed

Engine speed

Throttle position

Brake use

Driver's belt switch

The information, which can be read using a PC and appropriate interface hardware and software, is permanently stored and cannot be erased.

2.5) Where is the black box located?

The "Sensing Diagnostic Module" (SDM) is a small silver box located in the center console just forward of the console storage compartment.
Originally Posted by glitch77
I told you it was in the console.

Im sure that there is a way to kill it, someone should pull the +12 wire and see if the car still runs, I be it would.
To my knowledge, there's no way to kill it. You can unplug it and the car will run but it will give you the SES light and LS1edit can't disable it. I thought about doing some major research and come out with a black box similator where it still controls the air bags but doesn't record anything.

Last edited by rodent; 12-28-2003 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Great info rodent, exactly what i was looking for
Old 12-30-2003, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
Are you positive thats it? My car has that, but when I looked at it I swear it was labelled air bag controller...
It's an black box for sure, disconnecting it will disable the airbags, like an interlock.

The best way to do this is to have the tools in the car. When your in an accident (serious one), remove the 2 screws holding the center console on, disconnect and remove the blackbox, carry it with you and hide it good (in case the car is not totalled) which you may want to put it back when the car is repaired so the airbags would work in case of a another accident.

I don't like the black box for 2 reasons:

If the other car is a older car and does not have the black box, that is not a fair justice.

It's MY car and i don't want anybody having information of my driving style.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:05 PM
Teching In

We must kill the black box!
Old 12-30-2003, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Midnight F-117A

If the other car is a older car and does not have the black box, that is not a fair justice.

I agree completely.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Midnight F-117A
It's an black box for sure, disconnecting it will disable the airbags, like an interlock.

The best way to do this is to have the tools in the car. When your in an accident (serious one), remove the 2 screws holding the center console on, disconnect and remove the blackbox, carry it with you and hide it good (in case the car is not totalled) which you may want to put it back when the car is repaired so the airbags would work in case of a another accident.

Might be hard to get that out if your injured though...
"Hey, can someone turn this screwdriver, my arm is missing..."

I totally agree with you though. I don't like anyone getting info from my car that can be used against me in court.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

On the other hand, the information could also work in your favor. The best example is the guy who ran into and killed two teenage girls coming out of their driveway. He claimed he was going 45 in a 30 mph zone so the police were only going to charge him with speeding and careless driving. However, the skid marks and other evidence made investigators suspicious so the "black box" was checked. It showed he was going 106 mph (in a residential 30 mph zone) at the time of impact. The charge was promptly changed to vehicular homicide, he was convicted and is now in jail. If it had been your daughter or sister killed, wouldn't you be glad that justice was done?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Black box...