Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Noobie with TONS of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noobie with TONS of Questions

I purchased my 2004 CTS-V with 66,000 miles on it last summer shortly after my 2002 Z28 was stolen (sad day). I wanted another LS GM car and was between a GTO and CTS-V and found a V before I could find a GTO with a manual. Anyway, I really like the car and have followed the forums for a while every since I got the car. The V I got was in pretty bad shape so I got a deal on it but am still trying to play catch-up. I figure the previous owner ran the car off the road or went over a speed bump at 80mph because I had to fix a nasty exhaust leak (Corsa) and replace the drive shaft because of a bad bearing (the built-in ones). I also replaced the radiator which was bad but the new one has just started leaking which is really frustrating. Aside from these things, I have replaced the rear bushing (Cadillac) and the motor mounts (ultra mounts) because they were all shot to hell. The new mounts are great but I am curious about the life of those rear bushing because it seems they just tend to go bad. I've done a few oil changes, changed the tranny fluid, put some new tires on it, replaced a rim, and tried out a plug-and-play iPod system from Scoche that almost killed my ECU (don't even think about bothering with this iPod system). Needless to say... I'm devoted to my car.

So what's the problem? There is more than one. Well like I said before I replaced a bad rim and put some new tires on because of some shake at highway speeds (balancing goes without saying). I had a bad TPMS and didn't want to spend the $90 on a new one so I had them just put in a standard rubber valve. I drove all the way to Houston and back during the weekend and my stability system engaged maybe a dozen times for no real reason. Yesterday, I was driving on the highway (MoPac) while it was raining and my car was all over the road. I thought I had a flat and pulled off, checked my tires, and everything seemed to be fine. So I went straight to Cadillac (they are beginning to know me by name). They claim that the lack of the TPMS is causing the stabili-system to be triggered and braking my wheels unnecessarily.

On a side note I have another problem that could be related. When I am taking a turn at regular speed, in neutral, off the clutch, and I turn the steering wheel more than one full rotation, there is a rubbing noise. If I press the clutch while the noise is being made, the noise goes away. So I have just been keeping my foot on the clutch while taking tighter turns.

Maybe these things are related and maybe not. I just thought someone might know something about A) the stabilitrac system B) the TPM System and how it affects driving and C) the rubbing noise I am experiencing while turning that could possibly even be related to the tranny based off the all that crap about the funny trannies in these cars

Thanks for absolutely any and all help with my troubles!
Old 02-04-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can help you with the first two...

A) Chances are this is the steering position sensor, search it here and at cadillacforums.com it's a pretty well known issue, moreso with the base cts is seems though.

B) Won't affect stabilitrack at all...if you remove all of them and don't let them come close to your car again it will shut the system down (after driving some 50 miles) and let you use competition mode again....or you can use a tech2 and just disable the system.

dunno what your noise could be, sorry.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help. The steering position sensor seems related for sure.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Is the diameter of the wheel/tire the same, front & back?
You said that new tires were put on the car, but did not indicate the size.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Teching In

The tires are new on the back and the front ones are older but are still pretty new (15,000 miles). They are all the same size and are the eagle f-1's gs-2s.

I just got my car back from the dealer and they didn't charge me for anything. They said they couldn't replicate the Stability message while driving for almost an hour and they said they didn't end up keeping the new TPMS' on the car because that wasn't related to the problem (duh). Well when I got home i realized they never took out the TPMS' (new/free ones?) I guess cause they can't sell them again once installed. However, I had a minor ding in my rim from them doing tire work and also they didn't rebalance my tires

Now I have a shimmy in my steering wheel again but I have new TPM sensors. I called the dealer abut the ding and they said they would fix the rim but it would take at least a week cause they have to send it off. They also said they would rebalance the tires. I think I am just going to get them to rebalance the tires and call it a day. I just want to drive my car!

P.S. While running errands today my stability system engaged again for no reason. DOES ANYONE KNOW A DECENT GARAGE IN AUSTIN THAT I CAN TAKE MY CAR TO?
Old 02-06-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

All 4 of my TPMS sensors stopped working after a cold snap we had. I don't think they are bad but can probably be fixed by the dealer. I get the 3 dashes "---" where the tire pressure should be. Its been about a month and I have had zero problems with the stability system.

Good luck man!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Teching In

After some research I found it is probably the steering wheel position sensor. I just picked up a new one today for about $88. I'm installing it friday and will be driving to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. I figure 18 hours of driving should be enough to tell whether or not that was the problem. I'll keep yall posted
Old 02-10-2010, 03:24 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

As far as the noise goes. I have the exact same thing. Believe it to be the result of a bad rear seal in the tranny. Trans shop can't look at it for a couple more days. I might possibly have a warped yoke. My seal is leaking a tiny bit. Not even enough to leave residue on the ground. It just drops on the exhaust and smells. Gets worse when I go in reverse.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is probably not the issue, but I want to give my feedback just in case. The rubbing noise that you discussed is something that I had an issue with. You can check out my thread if you want to read the whole story.

Cliff notes of that thread though...check to see if the bolts that hold the steering gear in place are tight.

Explanation....

I had a clunk noise when I turned the steering wheel 5-10 degrees both ways. I guess you could consider it to be a rubbing noise. If you have the car up, check the two bolts/nuts that hold on the steering column. The nuts are actually suppose to be welded to the Sub-Frame or K-memeber. The bolts go in from the top. If these are loose, then they can allow the steering gear to move a bit. On my car, some asshat had broken the nuts loose from the bottom, and replaced it with a regular nut to cover it up. (before I bought the car) I didn't know what this was until it was to late. Over the course of about 3 days, I had a hefty bill.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Teching In

UPDATE

Swapped out the old sensor with a new one. After the 1000 mile trip the stability didn't engage once. FIXED!

Quick Reply: Noobie with TONS of Questions