New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 overfilled oil 8 quarts

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 overfilled oil 8 quarts

So i drove for 250 miles with 8 quarts of oil, (1.75 over)

Im going to get the excess drained.

Before everyone chimes in with You should change it yourself, or dont go to jlube, it was a local shop, thats done me good for 3 years. And I dont have a good place to change it.

Anythign i need to check, I noticed that i had poor gas milage, and then checked and it was way ovefilled, checked the jugs of mobil one {(i gave them 2 5 quart, there were only 2 quarts left)

What could have been fucked (besides my gas milage) anything i need to check?

Last edited by anteck7; 02-04-2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: First post please be merciful
Old 02-04-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With too much oil in a crank the crankshaft can actually whip up the oil by dipping in as it turns. This will stress out the internals on your engine, and will actually froth up the oil. Oil + air doesn't protect your engine like straight oil, and you can actually have the same issues as running with no oil!

It's possible that you didn't get to this point, but if you did it probably caused wear on your bearings, etc.

I'm really not sure what to tell you besides this. I'm assuming if your gas mileage dropped you were probably whipping your crank into the oil, but I'm not sure.

Hope this helps a little!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure everything will be fine. drain and refill it and take a nice long drive. if you dont notice any drivability issues, then you probably didnt damage anything.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:41 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd take it back and make them do it over again. OR be very care full, and hold that loosen bolt on there so it will drizzel outand when you think it is 1.5 qt, then tighten up and re check.

I would check the dip stick to verify over filled. JUST incase they used some of the oil for their own car. You do not want to be a quart low.

Quick Reply: LS2 overfilled oil 8 quarts