Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's involved on converting an M6 to an A4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 09:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's involved on converting an M6 to an A4?

I know that's about the opposite of what most people want to do so maybe it's easier going from M6 to A4? Anyone that's done a swap know what's involved? I figure if I wanted to pursue this, I would have no trouble finding someone local willing to do the swap with me. I assume off the top of my head that there would be programming involved. I'm concerned with that because of course my car is not stock and has custom LS1 Edit Programming. Would that be lost? Also the Radiators on an A4 employ a tranny cooler right? Other than that it should be much easier going from M6 to A4 though? Nothing to fabricate or cut?

Thanks
Old 12-24-2003, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sure wish you'd been contemplating this when my motor was out and I posted on "our" local board about it!! LOL!!
Old 12-24-2003, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chris99WS6PWTMET
Sure wish you'd been contemplating this when my motor was out and I posted on "our" local board about it!! LOL!!

haha.. Isn't that always the way it works though Bro!. Honestly... I must have missed that post!. Were you looking to do a tranny swap?

B
Old 12-25-2003, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was looking down that road after crapping out 4L60E #4 but I didnt want the hassle of swapping out computers and harnesses so I'll stick with the A4 a while longer. I now have 2 Century (Mike Kurtz) built 4L60E's, so hopefully I can get a bit longer life out of the one in the car before I have to swap in the one in the garage. We'll find out in January when I slap the TNT kit on and head for the 130's!!
Old 12-25-2003, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

I just did the switch from M6 to a T400. First you will need to patch the hole in the floor from the shifter. Find the nuetral safety switch and back up light wires. I think you would need a computer from an A4 car and maybe the wiring harness also. You would need an A4 radiator. Other then that it should be pretty straight forward.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:43 PM
Launching!

When i did my engine swap i went from a 5 speed to the A4. It's pretty easy.The hardest parts were finding the proper wires to splice for neutral safety and reverse (still havn't got that far). I had used the old rubber shifter boot and just bolted the 4l60e shifter right over it. You could use the M6 radiator, just add a large external cooler. There will be a switch that comes off the clutch pedal, tape this switch down so the cruise control will work or it will be an open circuit. Any other questions just ask!
Old 12-26-2003, 12:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chris99WS6PWTMET
I was looking down that road after crapping out 4L60E #4 but I didnt want the hassle of swapping out computers and harnesses so I'll stick with the A4 a while longer. I now have 2 Century (Mike Kurtz) built 4L60E's, so hopefully I can get a bit longer life out of the one in the car before I have to swap in the one in the garage. We'll find out in January when I slap the TNT kit on and head for the 130's!!

Is it not possible to tweak the computer with edit so that it thinks it's always on 3rd and so on ?