Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

powersteering fluid leak!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation powersteering fluid leak!!

got a big problem.. i have no clue where this leak is comming from both hoses seem to be fine i dont see fluid leakin out of any of the lines..its leakin really bad about a quart every 3 or 4 days.. i can see it dripping on the alternator is it hard to replace the resivor?..
Old 02-05-2010, 01:27 AM
Teching In

the bottom of my car is drenched in fluid.. its pissin me off!.. could this be a more serious problem ? what i mean by this is replace the whole powersteering system .. ima noob at this ls1 stuff.. bare with me..
Old 02-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either way the pump should be removed for inspection. Which means for people new to the motor, your going to need a pulley puller 1st and then get the pump off. Look for cracks or damage. That much fluid means something deteriorated badly.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would make sure all the lines are tight first. .. but ^ he had some good advice. Can you tell if its coming from the resvour or the power stearing rack (thats where the lines go from the resevour)?

And does it leak only when its running, or all the time? This can be confusing, because if its leaking when its running it will still leak once its stopped. But if you can see a noticable difference between the two... that may help. It doesnt take much of a hole in the lines to leak... even a pin hole will do what your saying. Best bet would be to have it running and have a friend turn the wheel side-to-side and see if you can see it spray.... or atleast get an idea of there is coming from. Its more likely a line the the resevour, but dont rule it out.

Last edited by xxrillixx; 02-06-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

1275, man my power steering fluid was spewing all over the place, including all over my alternator, but I just had the lines going from the pump and reservoir to the rack. I had NO power steering cooler. So heat and pressure was just building up in the system. What I did was I got a power steering cooler from Advance Auto, PN 242009. I hooked it up inline with the return line to the reservoir.

My reservoir was already just about empty so I got a bottle of Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak and a bottle of regular power steering fluid. I filled up the reservoir with mostly the Lucas stuff, and then a little bit of the regular power steering fluid.

I bled the system according to my Haynes manual, drove the car around the block a few times, and no leaks at all.

Quick Reply: powersteering fluid leak!!