Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

play in steering wheel

Old 02-05-2010, 05:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question play in steering wheel

Ok so i just purchased my car yesterday and i noticed when i was test driving it they there is about 1inch of play on both sides of the steering wheel. My first guess is the ball joints, not sure if inner/outer or both. Also, the steering wheel moves down and kinda to the left if i pull on it. I believe i read that there is a rubber piece that gets worn out somewhere between the firewall and the back of the rack. Just wanted to make sure that im kinda on the ball as far as those things being wrong. If it is these things then i will replace them immediately. Thanks in advance. Mike
Old 02-05-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, you've got a 14 year old car, and you don't mention the mileage...Anyway, I would assume the outer tie rod ends are probably worn, and the cause of most of your steering play. Ball joints would be a secondary cause, but again, in a car that old, replacement of them also, wouldn't be out of the question. A-arm bushings could be rather dried out by now, also.

With respect to the steering column play, first check the connection of the steering column shaft to the steering rack. There's a "u-joint" there, with a screw that goes through the joint, and a "groove" in the splined stub that comes out of the rack. Make sure the screw is present and tight. Also, you can check the condition of the "rag joint" that is part of the shaft, and located a couple of inches above previously mentioned u-joint.

The rag joint acts as sort of a vibration damper, however heat and time can cause it to deterioriate. If yours is bad, replace it with a "rag joint eliminator" which is available from Unbalanced Engineering.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Well, you've got a 14 year old car, and you don't mention the mileage...Anyway, I would assume the outer tie rod ends are probably worn, and the cause of most of your steering play. Ball joints would be a secondary cause, but again, in a car that old, replacement of them also, wouldn't be out of the question. A-arm bushings could be rather dried out by now, also.

With respect to the steering column play, first check the connection of the steering column shaft to the steering rack. There's a "u-joint" there, with a screw that goes through the joint, and a "groove" in the splined stub that comes out of the rack. Make sure the screw is present and tight. Also, you can check the condition of the "rag joint" that is part of the shaft, and located a couple of inches above previously mentioned u-joint.

The rag joint acts as sort of a vibration damper, however heat and time can cause it to deterioriate. If yours is bad, replace it with a "rag joint eliminator" which is available from Unbalanced Engineering.
lots of really good information here. Thank you.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jdoyle
lots of really good information here. Thank you.

You're welcome!

Old 02-06-2010, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

ok so i took it in to my mechanic and he said that my tie rods were not that bad. He did say that i do need a new steering shaft. Now when he says this, can i just buy the rag joint eliminator to fix it or could there be something else wrong with the shaft? I called the dealer and they want $340 for a new shaft. Plus, the dealer said that the part might not even be available anymore, i would have to place an order to see if i would get it or not. I just came back from a few junkyards and i cant find one z28 to take the shaft off of. Will one work from a v6? Sorry for all the questions but i want to get this fixed asap cause im scared to drive the car. Thanks, mike
Old 02-06-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

I think that a few people here have mentioned some sort of issues with the '93-'96-7 steering shafts, but I don't know exactly what the issues was. In either '97 or '98, GM did some sort of upgrade, but I don't what the change was.

I'd ask whoever looked at your car to be more specific...I have a '96, with 70,000 miles on it. I didn't notice any unusual play in the steering, but since I do my own work, and store the car for the winter, I have time to mess with it and not spend a ton of money. I put new outer tire rod ends as well as the "rag joint eliminator" on it last year, and I was amazed at how much "tighter" the steering felt afterward.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Look at your rag joint on the steering shaft if ball joints/tierods etc checkout.....

I can't post a direct link because they are not sponsor but google "rag joint eliminator" or "unbalanced engineering" and scroll down.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:03 AM
On The Tree

is the rag joint the most common piece on the shaft to go? Is there anything else on the shaft that could break or whatever and cause play in the steering?
Old 02-07-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mrchyzy16
is the rag joint the most common piece on the shaft to go? Is there anything else on the shaft that could break or whatever and cause play in the steering?

If the car has a lot of miles the gears in the steering box can cause slop too. You need to check everything from suspension to steering mechanism. Eliminate suspension first as it easy to do....
Old 02-07-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
If the car has a lot of miles the gears in the steering box can cause slop too. You need to check everything from suspension to steering mechanism. Eliminate suspension first as it easy to do....

Keep in mind, these cars have a rack and pinion......
Old 02-07-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it's a stretch, but I did have the two fastners that hold the rack to the K-Member back out. Everytime I turned the wheel the rack would "jump" and cause the issue you describe.

You really need to get the car in the air, have some one sit behind the wheel and rack the steering wheel back and forth. Then follow the path through the firewall, rack and tie-rods to see where the play is.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Keep in mind, these cars have a rack and pinion......
I have have never had one of these apart but it would seem that if the pinion wears it could cause play to me. Tere are teeth on the rack that could possibly wear to I believe. I will defer to those more knowledgable... There were gears in my old Z71 box and I was able to adjust most of the play out.

Having said that my steering pump has a terrible bearing roar (not typical whine) at cold start and it goes away above 2krpm and at idle once warm. If anybody knows what that might be lemme know. I will be tearing it down in the next couple weeks so I guess I will be learning a little more about this system. Maybe a Turn One pump is in my future

Last edited by SOMbitch; 02-07-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:56 AM
On The Tree

ok i hopefully will be picking up a nice low mileage steering shaft from another member, so when i get it, i will install it. If it still doesnt go away then it must be something else. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:16 AM
TECH Addict

great info....subscribing!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

i will keep everyone updated as to the situation.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look into the rag joint eliminator even with the new shaft it does wonders. I did the ls1 steering shaft upgrade on mine if you do a search its a little work but my steering is alot more precise with it.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Is the rag joint something you can change on a LS1 car? I have a 2000 Trans am with similar symptoms but I only see the rag joint eliminator for LT1 cars from unbalanced performance.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

on my car right before i got it it had the engine swaped and they dident tighten down the stearing shaft enough and i had that side to side play in the wheel almost like a huge dead spot.
the shaft bolt right at the rack was tight but it has to be very tight so theres no play.

i just kept tightening a little at a time and it went away.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've noticed mine has a little play too and its definately not the outer TRE's since they were changed along with the inners last summer and the rest of the suspension checked out fine. mine seems to even have the slightly loose steering wheel symptom when the wheel is locked and the car is off.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:09 AM
TECH Addict

I'm still in the same "sloppy" boat...I guess I gotta try tightning everything down again. My problem started when I was installing my Kooks Lt's. I had to unbolt the steering shaft.....after that, my steering went down hill. *sigh*

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: play in steering wheel