Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Machining groove in strut to lower the V

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Machining groove in strut to lower the V

Who was it that did this? I read about on here somewhere, but cant seem to find it now. I am looking to get some feedback on this.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just buy coilovers. i found myself at this point sooo many times, and sooo many times the right direction wasn't the cheap one.

machining your strut is most likely not the right my direction.

my .02
Old 02-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Teching In

i found it. it was wildwhl way back in 05.
I had the front apart 2 days ago, and after seeing the way the stock spring perch is supported (by a spring clip that sits in a groove). There is no reason a groove cant be machined 1" lower,and the spring clip moved to the new groove, in order to retain full factory travel and ride quality at a 1" lower ride height. If i hadnt been in such a hurry the other night, i would have done it.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

got any links ?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpenmatt
...in order to retain full factory travel and ride quality at a 1" lower ride height.
Except you won't maintain the full factory travel. You'll have 1" less bump travel, which will make it that much more likely you'll bottom out the suspension.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so many threads everywhere (not just this site) about hacking up the suspension to lower the car, let alone for only an inch which still leaves like a 2-3 finger gap. why? why would one do that to the ride of this car? this ain't a civic you know.

i just don't get it.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and i'm sure i'll be flamed from those not caring to spend money on their suspension, but in all honesty, it is what it is, and i'm right.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tony tone
so many threads everywhere (not just this site) about hacking up the suspension to lower the car, let alone for only an inch which still leaves like a 2-3 finger gap. why? why would one do that to the ride of this car? this ain't a civic you know.

i just don't get it.
Originally Posted by tony tone
and i'm sure i'll be flamed from those not caring to spend money on their suspension, but in all honesty, it is what it is, and i'm right.
I have an Eibach Pro Kit with spacers on my stock shocks and as far as I am concerned the ride is better then factory. I have less then $150 invested.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Different priorities and different feelings of what feels better to people. I don't wanna spend 5K on wheels as you did when the stock wheels ride and roll just the same. Does that make me wrong or do I just simply have a different opinion/desire than you? So yes, you are right (in your own mind). Doesn't mean we all have to follow your ideals

Different strokes for different folks - I can't say it better myself.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, you two make good points in all actuality.

skullv, i was the first one looking for an easy solution, but knowing that many different scenarios needed to be put in place for what i wanted, ideas like spacers and cutting springs weren't an option. the wheel option i chose was exceptional (especially with a $6800 price tag) and suspension needed to be spot on... and i mean SPOT ON... including some fender work and damper adjustments by me as i felt it on the road. car sits no more than 3" off the ground at any given point so it's a pretty delicate situation.

i guess that's why i feel passionate about getting it right the first time, for me at least.

no hate, seriously.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

Believe me, I'd love to do it the right way, all the way but I'd go broke far too soon that way. Now if I had a blank check, hell yeah I'd have your wheels and suspension, then on to a TT 427 or something
Old 02-06-2010, 01:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

id much rather have the TT 427 before the wheels, no doubt about that and 6800 for wheels is absolutely insane IMO. but if you have the money to throw around congrats to you.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Teching In

Well regardless of anyone's opinion, including my wife, I went ahead and did this last night. The results were excellent, I should have done it this way the first time around. The factory ride quality was retained 100%, with the only difference being 1" less ride height/travel. All that is left to do is fix the alignment. I didn't take any pics of the process, but A-Bomb did so maybe he can post them up for me.

As far as SkullV's comment about the Eibach Pro Kit having a better ride quality than stock, I believe it. It was the same for my 96 Impala. I believe it is because the Eibachs are a progressive rate spring, and therefore are able to have a softer than stock initial spring rate.

If money was flowing well for me right now, I would have prob bought the pro kit as well, but since I have $0 invested in my lowering kit and love both the way it sits, and the way it rides i think i did ok.

Machining groove in strut to lower the V-lowered-caddy-011.jpg

Machining groove in strut to lower the V-lowered-caddy-014.jpg
Old 02-06-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

Nice, so how did you do the machining?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itsslow98
id much rather have the TT 427 before the wheels, no doubt about that and 6800 for wheels is absolutely insane IMO. but if you have the money to throw around congrats to you.
i don't, but the moment i saw the wheels and the potential in customizing to suit my preference, i fell in love. took me a couple months to gather up the flow for them, but i will be the first to say you get what you pay for because they are outstanding quality.

trust me, this isn't the first time someone thinks i'm insane for spending that much, but i'm not the only one. just go to 6speedonline.com and you'll see, lol. many others have spent more, and sometimes much more than i have.

btw op, car sits good.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

here are the pics.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

ooohhh. wonder how that will work with Ground Control and FG2's?? gain an extra 1" without maxing it out. I have not installed them yet and can do this prior to install. so you feel no ill effects? what did you do, just hammer it past the first slot??
Old 02-06-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VeryWhiteDevil
ooohhh. wonder how that will work with Ground Control and FG2's?? gain an extra 1" without maxing it out. I have not installed them yet and can do this prior to install. so you feel no ill effects? what did you do, just hammer it past the first slot??
he removed the snap ring and machined another groove an inch down from the original and then put the snap ring in the new groove. i was there when he was doin it so thats how i know. as far as how it rides, that i don't know.

Last edited by A-Bomb; 02-06-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by maxpenmatt
I believe it is because the Eibachs are a progressive rate spring, and therefore are able to have a softer than stock initial spring rate.
The stock springs are progressive as well...
Old 02-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Teching In

All I gotta say is I love the new look... And the look is the only thing different, cause it still rides like stock.

You prob can't do this to the coilovers. All though I can't speak about the GC kit for the V, every coilover kit I have ever seen has a threaded body. All you have to do is adjust the nut, no grooves, no snap rings, none of this **** req

Quick Reply: Machining groove in strut to lower the V