Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lower car - keeping stock springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Lower car - keeping stock springs

Hey guys, looking for some suspension advice on an 01 TA.

The stock ride height makes this car look like a circus wagon. I would like to lower it slightly, maybe 3/4" to 1". Here's what I have to work with:

1) Ride quality is paramount, this thing handles good enough for me.
2) The Secretary of the Treasury has me on a low budget. I was iterrogated by her when I brought home a new oil filter (Is that really neccessary? Who do you love more, me or that car?).

What I'm thinking is - keeping the old springs all around and doing the heater hose trick on the rear. The problem is the front. I know Koni makes shocks with a 2 position perch, but that ain't gonna happen.

I am replacing all 4 shocks, and my real question is: Does anyone else besides Koni make shocks with a 2 position perch?
Old 02-06-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you're gonna spend $400 on shocks, may as well spend $750 and get the BEST shocks.

no other shock that i know of has the dual perch setup.

you could cut the spring....[gasp]
Old 02-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Get a set of Bilstein shocks, do the heater hose mod in the rear and cut 3/4 to 1 coil off the fronts. Did it on my M6 car and it worked great.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure what the front coils look like. Do they have a flat on one end? Which end could be cut, top or bottom?

I realize this is cheapin' out, but are there any negative side effects of cutting the spring?
Old 02-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

You cut the top. When you do, the spring still fits right on to the groove on the upper isolator.
Some guys on here get freaky about cutting springs. Do a search and you'll see all kinds of opinions. But there are really no downsides to cutting the amount we're talking about.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cut my fron and rear springs and i think it looks great and have had zero issues. i kept the rubber isolator too
Old 02-06-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW if you were considering springs I just sold my stockers to Sabbath 87 on here and he is pulling his lowering springs off and letting them go pretty reasonable I think. Not sure what they are or what he is asking just putting it out there...

And cutting your springs will increase the rate and make it ride harder but it may not be so bad since bilsteins ride way better than DeCrappys....

Quick Reply: Lower car - keeping stock springs