Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What do i need for a rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What do i need for a rebuild?

Looking to upgrade my T56 while rebuilding it. I know to go with the steel 3/4 shift fork and billet keys along with bronze fork pads and shifter bushing. But there are 4 kits to buy. I don't want to buy a kit then end up buying all this other stuff with a whole bunch of left over parts. I am looking at the kits on this site. thegearbox.or g

Can anyone shed some light?
Old 02-06-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You usually don't need the bearings unless you've got a very high mileage trans or damage. Definitely get new blocker rings. A snap-ring kit and shim kit are good also. If you're buying the upgraded keys and fork pads, you can usually call and have the stock keys/pads deleted from a kit for a small credit.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Looking to upgrade my T56 while rebuilding it. I know to go with the steel 3/4 shift fork and billet keys along with bronze fork pads and shifter bushing. But there are 4 kits to buy. I don't want to buy a kit then end up buying all this other stuff with a whole bunch of left over parts. I am looking at the kits on this site. thegearbox.or g

Can anyone shed some light?
Thats the same site I bought my rebuilt kit from. Very good service and OEM Tremec parts.

The 4 kits vary by the inclusion of bearings and what type they are. If your trans doesn't make any bad noises, and there isn't play in the input or output shaft, I would skip on the bearings. They are probably fine, mine looked brand new with 90K miles on them.

So if you don't need the bearings, just get the T56 basic kit like I did. That includes all the things you will need to rebuild it, minues extras like the shift fork, ect.

If you need bearings, I would highly reccommend going with the Timken bearing kit. I wouldn't trust KOYO as far as I can throw them, sounds like typical jap crap, which is typically made from inferior metal. They spelled "Turbo" wrong on their website by spelling it "Tarbo", not worth risking it IMO. Timken is an excellent name.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My advise is to open it up first and make your list from there. There is always something you forgot or something you didn't need. This is from overhauling many T56's.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
If you need bearings, I would highly reccommend going with the Timken bearing kit. I wouldn't trust KOYO as far as I can throw them, sounds like typical jap crap, which is typically made from inferior metal. They spelled "Turbo" wrong on their website by spelling it "Tarbo", not worth risking it IMO. Timken is an excellent name.
Koyo is owned by Toyota. Barring their current recall hassle, one of the top QC companies on the planet.. No reason to hate on them, they do make quality parts at cheaper prices.. YMMV
Old 02-06-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Koyo is owned by Toyota. Barring their current recall hassle, one of the top QC companies on the planet.. No reason to hate on them, they do make quality parts at cheaper prices.. YMMV
Toyota?? All the more reason not to use them. Japanese metal = garbage.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

I just spoke with a guy at one of the major t56 rebuilders who told me that as of last spring timken closed their us factories, laid off a bunch of US workers, and now manufactures their "USA" bearings in Mexico. If this is true....id buy jap crap koyo over American named/owned sellout bearings any day of the week.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMD_Jesse
I just spoke with a guy at one of the major t56 rebuilders who told me that as of last spring timken closed their us factories, laid off a bunch of US workers, and now manufactures their "USA" bearings in Mexico. If this is true....id buy jap crap koyo over American named/owned sellout bearings any day of the week.
Thats a load of bullshit.

I just bought a set of Timken bearings for a differential rebuild, with USA stamped right on each bearing.

Asian metal is garbage, which is why I highly reccommend not ever using jap crap bearings.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

where did you buy them? I was looking for USA made timken but they are getting harder to find.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Banned

I've used Jap bearings as well as European bearings for years. Never one single failure from the material of the bearing. Bearings from countries like China should be avoided when possible.

On a side note, you guys do realize that the internals from the T56 are made in Mexico right?
Old 10-01-2010, 11:41 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

It's hard to use a particular "kit" to rebuild a T56. There is a list of basic parts that are necessary for every rebuild, regardless of what else may be wrong with the tranny. I recommend replacing all the rings, keys, springs, fork pads, & seals. Then upgrade the 3-4 fork to a steel one and use the billet keys in the 3-4 synchro assembly. On top of this list, the parts will vary depending on what, if anything, else needs attention.
So, if you are looking to buy a kit, then try to get one with the above mentioned parts, so you won't have a bunch of left over parts.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMD_Jesse
where did you buy them? I was looking for USA made timken but they are getting harder to find.
They were included with the Motive Gear kit I got to rebuild my rear axle.

Quick Reply: What do i need for a rebuild?