Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Where to find new SIR module (clock spring)?

Old 02-06-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Where to find new SIR module (clock spring)?

I'm swapping over the steering wheel with radio controls off a wrecked 2001 Camaro my cousin was using for parts and I've been searching for a new clock spring (airbags deployed in the one off the 01 Camaro). Does anyone know where in the world to get one? I've been searching and nothing has come up. I typed in the gm part number over on GMPartsDirect, nothing. Checked eBay, nothing. Does anyone know where to get this thing at?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just removed my factory steering wheel a couple days ago for a race wheel. i have one
Old 02-06-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome, the one with radio controls? How much are you asking for it?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SIR coil module or Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Coil is very hard to find if you want it brand new. Used, is more easy at the salvage yards.

Mine, new, it was get from an ex former GM dealer parts departament employee. He find and sells GM parts with his old contactswith a very fair prices.

Mr Dallas Slabaugh a very trusted man.

lockitup@bright.net

Hope He is active now

Good luck
dochidalgo
Old 02-06-2010, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Awesome, the one with radio controls? How much are you asking for it?
yep! hell, ill take $10 plus shipping, just because i hate parts sitting here not being put to good use, and i wont ever need it again since im running a drag race only setup

i may need a lil help tho. i removed the stock wheel already and the SIR is still intact with the column. i couldnt figure out how to get it out. i read the sticky about it but still couldnt figure it out
Old 02-06-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nemss1
yep! hell, ill take $10 plus shipping, just because i hate parts sitting here not being put to good use, and i wont ever need it again since im running a drag race only setup

i may need a lil help tho. i removed the stock wheel already and the SIR is still intact with the column. i couldnt figure out how to get it out. i read the sticky about it but still couldnt figure it out
which part is tripping you up?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

i couldnt figure out how to get it out. i read the sticky about it but still couldnt figure it out

I'll send you 2 draws that explain the process if you will

Regards
dochidalgo
Old 02-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Here is:

Old 02-06-2010, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

which part is tripping you up?
it looks like the plate used to press the wheel off has to come off but not sure how it comes off. is it pressed on also? and i couldnt see the lockring. after im directed on how to find the lockring, and i remove it, will the SIR just pull right out afterwards?

Originally Posted by dochidalgo
I'll send you 2 draws that explain the process if you will

Regards
dochidalgo
thank you very much. that will help out alot
Old 02-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

The most important issue is NOT ROTATE the coil module beyond 180° because the internal wires will cut.

The 2 yellow connectors are from the Air Bag system. The other 2 are the steering wheel radio controls.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dochidalgo
Are you talking about part number 6 on this picture?

By the way, thanks for the pictures dochidalgo! They are very helpful!
Old 02-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

The number 3 in the circle is the SIR coil module. The numbers aside are the GM part number.

You're welcome sir
Old 02-06-2010, 10:52 PM
12 Second Club

here is a pic of what mine looks like. there is a metal backing plate of some sort. how do i remove it and after its removed, will the lockring be visible?

Old 02-06-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is a pic of what mine looks like. there is a metal backing plate of some sort. how do i remove it and after its removed, will the lockring be visible?

Yes, once that plate is off you'll be able to see the snap-ring holding the SIR module in place. I had a set of snap-ring pliers and just pressed down a bit on the SIR module to release some of the pressure and removed the snap-ring. After that it slid forward and I had to take off the steering wheel lock plate (had to use another tool that was included in the steering wheel removal set I purchased from harbour freight) and loosen up the turn signal assembly. Once I did all that I put my tilt in the highest up position and just worked the wires out.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

That's number 1 & 2 in the draw. You have to unscrew the nut and the plate will be free to pull up. If I recall well...
Old 02-06-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I just went to look at my steering wheel in the garage and I noticed that the metal piece in your picture is actually supposed to be attached to the back of the steering wheel and pulled off when the wheel is removed. I'm kind of stupmed on how to get that off actually, haha!
Old 02-06-2010, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

So I just went to look at my steering wheel in the garage and I noticed that the metal piece in your picture is actually supposed to be attached to the back of the steering wheel and pulled off when the wheel is removed. I'm kind of stupmed on how to get that off actually, haha!
****! i was afraid of that after i didnt see that piece in the pic. hopefully its not pressed on as hard as the actual steering wheel and that i can manage to pull it off. if not, then OUT COMES THE DREMEL!

also, what # is the steering wheel lock plate in the diagram? or is it the metal piece i managed to leave on?
Old 02-07-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

****! i was afraid of that after i didnt see that piece in the pic. hopefully its not pressed on as hard as the actual steering wheel and that i can manage to pull it off. if not, then OUT COMES THE DREMEL!

also, what # is the steering wheel lock plate in the diagram? or is it the metal piece i managed to leave on?
I believe you may be able to pull it off. I think there are two holes that are threaded and are the same ones that you used to pull the steering wheel with the puller. If those are threaded, just use the tool again and make sure you tighten down the parts that go into those two threaded holes securely so they don't strip out. The lock plate is number 6 on the diagram, it's behind the SIR module.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

I believe you may be able to pull it off. I think there are two holes that are threaded and are the same ones that you used to pull the steering wheel with the puller. If those are threaded, just use the tool again and make sure you tighten down the parts that go into those two threaded holes securely so they don't strip out. The lock plate is number 6 on the diagram, it's behind the SIR module.
yep, those are the 2 holes i used to pull of the wheel. ill get it all figured out tomorrow
Old 02-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Matt (I guess)

I found a new SIR coil $219 oops!! It costed me $350 a year and a half ago!!!

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

From Kevin Cassimore
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-produ...staxi-com.html

dochidalgo

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where to find new SIR module (clock spring)?