Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano springs siting crooked?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strano springs siting crooked?

I just picked up my car and it has Strano Springs and KYBs (I know... I plan to switch to Konis). I didn't notice it at first, but my car sits crooked! The driver side is about a finger width higher than the passenger side.

Anyone else experienced this or can offer a potential solution?
Old 02-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

common problem with our cars one side sits a little bit higher.

don't they make adjustable perches? you could make it a little higher or lower on either side. i am pretty sure konis come with htose?
Old 02-07-2010, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

hmm pretty sure mine sits level
Old 02-07-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you do the springs yourself? Maybe one is not orienated just right? They will also settle after a while. Just not sure how long yours have been on.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trippinholyman
common problem with our cars one side sits a little bit higher.

don't they make adjustable perches? you could make it a little higher or lower on either side. i am pretty sure konis come with htose?
You wouldn't want to use the lower perch on the Koni's with lowering springs. Don't think the KYB's have that option?
Old 02-07-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let the car settle for a little while. Our cars are known for this problem. I wouldnt be to worried.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

They dont need to settle, they've been on for a while. I recently purchased the car like this. I'm not too interested in hearing that 'its common for our cars', I'm interested in whether or not anyone has discovered what causes this, is it a problem with the springs? I'm more interested in correcting a problem than dismissing it as 'common', regardless of how big or small the issue is.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

check and make sure the springs are sitting on the isolators correctly, is it just the front or in the back too?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Longshot LCMS
I just picked up my car and it has Strano Springs and KYBs (I know... I plan to switch to Konis). I didn't notice it at first, but my car sits crooked! The driver side is about a finger width higher than the passenger side.

Anyone else experienced this or can offer a potential solution?
By the sound of your post, you had no idea that our cars sit higher. You asked if anyone has experienced this problem and I told you yes, many people have. If you were no longer interested in figuring out if any people had this issue, and you were interested in finding just a solution, you shouldn't of asked if anyone had the same problem. No where in your post did you state that this suspension has been on your car for a while now.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Greekey
By the sound of your post, you had no idea that our cars sit higher. You asked if anyone has experienced this problem and I told you yes, many people have. If you were no longer interested in figuring out if any people had this issue, and you were interested in finding just a solution, you shouldn't of asked if anyone had the same problem. No where in your post did you state that this suspension has been on your car for a while now.
Thanks for analyzing the verbiage in my post, how about you leave the rest of my thread open for problem solving instead of using it to inflate your E-*****? Thanks.

No I havent got the car on jackstands yet. Just getting some feedback on what to look for first.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for analyzing the verbiage in my post, how about you leave the rest of my thread open for problem solving instead of using it to inflate your E-*****? Thanks.

No I havent got the car on jackstands yet. Just getting some feedback on what to look for first.

Maybe you should A) try a more pleasant attitude; and B) make sure the springs are oriented correctly on the perches; and C) do a search, as this is an often asked question.....
Old 02-07-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take your car to the scrapyard. That will solve your problem.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

Please do a search, this topic has been covered at least 100 times.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

solution
Old 02-07-2010, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Maybe you should A) try a more pleasant attitude; and B) make sure the springs are oriented correctly on the perches; and C) do a search, as this is an often asked question.....
I tried a search, none of the terms I searched returned the results I was trying to find. Maybe you know of something else, I couldn't find it. I'm not new to forums or the whole 'search ****' attitude. This isn't my first car, I simply wanted some ideas of what to look for before climbing under the car, because this is my first F-body.

In regards to my attitude, obviously reading comprehension has failed a few members of this forum.

Originally Posted by Greekey
Take your car to the scrapyard. That will solve your problem.
Excellent, Mature Response. I can see your attitude has changed little. Way to be a productive member. Unknot your panties and don't think everyone is trying to attack you. Had it not been for your second response in this thread where you cocked an attitude I probably wouldn't have felt the need to retort.

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Please do a search, this topic has been covered at least 100 times.
I've done that. Results were inconclusive.

Originally Posted by teke184
Thank you, you have been helpful.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Let me try:

As mentioned, NO car, F-body or otherwise will sit 100% level at all four corners. Why? Well to start with if you were to weigh your car you'd find the weigh on each corner is not the same. Take two springs, add more weight on top of one and it will sit lower.

Also, there are factors like bushings and mounts that wear and have tolerances in them. An upper mount on the front or upper isolator on the rear that is more worn or softer than the other will cause the car to sit lower on that side.

Then you have the factor that involves what springs sit upon. I've seen front arms that are bent, which makes the shock sit higher or lower and since the spring is on the shock... the car sits higher or lower.

I saw a car once that was fine, and a week later it came in with the LR 2" higher than the RR. Why? It went to a dumb shop that tried to jack the car up off the PHB/Spring mount on the LR and they bent it upward by that much.... Same springs in the car before and after. Springs I dislike--wish I could blame them, but I can't.

One finger width? That's nothing and is common (even if you dislike it, that's the way it is) with these cars, even with GM springs. It's less noticeable on stock springs because the fender gap is so much bigger, but it's there.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine still has the stock springs on (haven't put Strano's on yet) and it does this, I like to think the GM engineers did this on purpose to level the car out when the driver gets in.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget the fact the you have more weight on passenger side because of the jack/spare tire at the back.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would rather the car sit level with me in the drivers seat than when im standing outside the car looking at it.

Quick Reply: Strano springs siting crooked?