Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt has finally Pissed ME OFF!!! Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 10 bolt has finally Pissed ME OFF!!! Need some advice.

We all know that the 10 bolt is a ticking time bomb. Well last year my preload on my 10 bolt backed off and ruined my gear set, etc... Being I was out of work at the time I had no choice but to freshen it back up. So I did a T/A girdle cover, new GM 4.10s and reused the Auburn Pro diff along with all new Timken bearings and seals.

Now less then a year later it appears the pinion seal has been leaking and now at around 75mph on the highway when I give it a light touch of the gas and let off it makes a grinding noise. I am pretty sure I just ruined another gear set or my bearings are toast. WTF!!! Should I just fix the pinion seal and check the fluid and hope for the best??

My next thing is if and when I do get a new rear I want something that comes complete and ready to bolt in. I dont want to have to pay someone to press bearings on and assemble a rear for me. Ive been looking at the S60 and I know alot of people think its too heavy but that doesnt bother me. For the price and the fact it seems to come complete then its worth it in my book. All opinions are welcome thanks....
Old 02-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a direct replacement and comes ready to bolt in. You can get the brake backing plates and a shortened driveshaft through most carriers.

I'm definitely going with an S60 soon as I get some cash.

Originally Posted by Justins00ss
We all know that the 10 bolt is a ticking time bomb. Well last year my preload on my 10 bolt backed off and ruined my gear set, etc... Being I was out of work at the time I had no choice but to freshen it back up. So I did a T/A girdle cover, new GM 4.10s and reused the Auburn Pro diff along with all new Timken bearings and seals.

Now less then a year later it appears the pinion seal has been leaking and now at around 75mph on the highway when I give it a light touch of the gas and let off it makes a grinding noise. I am pretty sure I just ruined another gear set or my bearings are toast. WTF!!! Should I just fix the pinion seal and check the fluid and hope for the best??

My next thing is if and when I do get a new rear I want something that comes complete and ready to bolt in. I dont want to have to pay someone to press bearings on and assemble a rear for me. Ive been looking at the S60 and I know alot of people think its too heavy but that doesnt bother me. For the price and the fact it seems to come complete then its worth it in my book. All opinions are welcome thanks....
Old 02-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

s60 is the way to go do it once and do it right it will handle 1200 rwhp all day. thats what im gonna do lighten your car in other areas and it will make the weight of the s60 not such an issue. slowhawk tuned your car so i assume your from mass? im from lynn mass now in dallas texas good luck bro 10 bolts suck!!!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 04:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jb7241986
s60 is the way to go do it once and do it right it will handle 1200 rwhp all day. thats what im gonna do lighten your car in other areas and it will make the weight of the s60 not such an issue. slowhawk tuned your car so i assume your from mass? im from lynn mass now in dallas texas good luck bro 10 bolts suck!!!!!

Yeah I am from Mass, used to live right down the street from Slowhawk.
Now I live in sunny florida. Thanks guys.