Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stuck on front rotor swap...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 06:19 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Stuck on front rotor swap...

Need some advice...

I'm in the process of replacing my stock brakes with Powerslots and Hawk pads. The front driver's side is on, and everything looks and feels real nice. If I try to rotate the wheel, it turns easily with no drag at all.

However, when I went to put the passenger side front back together, the caliper fit real tight over the rotor, where the driver's side went on real easy. I compressed the brake cylinder as far as it would go before I put the pads in, and they appeared to be properly seated.

Once I got the caliper bolts tight, the wheel back on and I started to tighten the lugs up, I noticed that the wheel wouldn't turn at all, no matter how hard I tried.

Any ideas on how to get that passenger side loosened up?
Old 12-24-2003, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm... Thats strange. Did you remove the caliper from the bracket and grease the pins? Also check to make sure the rotor is not warped because you may have warped it tightening the bracket down. Is the braket flush against the mounting surface, not sure what it's called.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:51 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Well, I figured out what the problem was, and you were right. I didn't remove the bracket and grease the pins. So I took it apart again, and that's when I discovered that the top pin is siezed in there. I can't even budge it. The bottom one comes right out, but the top is stuck hard.

So... now the question is... how to get it out without trashing the bracket? I tried everything I can think of... the pin is kinda chewed up now, so I'm gonna have to replace it anyway. Any thoughts?

Oh... and the rotor does not appear to be warped. Whew.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

The pins are removable from the bracket by a bolt. Remove the pin from the bracket and get some pliers and try to pull the pin out of the caliper. Not exactly sure how the pin is stuck though. Give it a try.
Old 12-25-2003, 05:19 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a replacement if they are siezed & to rusty to reuse.
Common problem on our cars.
The caliper slides sieze up in the mounting bracket & this is the result.
You can get the replacement parts from a dealer, or get complete loaded calipers from any parts store which will include these parts.
Old 12-25-2003, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would also check the rubber boot.

The guide pin siezed most likely from water intrusion.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:38 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Ditto on the water . My old stock system did the same thing. seized on the pin . Couldn't figure out where or how the water got in . But packed the the ruber boot with copious amounts of high temp stable grease, and made it a yearly check on all vehicles with floating calipers.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:26 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
The pins are removable from the bracket by a bolt. Remove the pin from the bracket and get some pliers and try to pull the pin out of the caliper. Not exactly sure how the pin is stuck though. Give it a try.
I actually put vice grips on it.... bolted the bracket back up to the car so I could get some leverage. All I managed to do is chew the head of the bolt of pretty good. It's really stuck in there hard. I hit it with some WD40 and let it sit overnight... no dice.

I'm wondering if I'm going to have to replace the whole bracket, also.

Yeah, I do suspect it got water in there. The rubber seal looked fine, but I plan on replacing it. It had to have been that way for a while, since I haven't really driven the car in wet weather.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:48 AM
wrencher

You can get new guide pins & the hardware/with boots.
Yours sounds like it is going to need to be heated w/a torch to get them out.
It would prolly be easier for you to just replace the parts.
I don't have the #'s but any competent dealer parts guy will know what you need.

Quick Reply: Stuck on front rotor swap...