Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket stereo help

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket stereo help

Hi guys

I was trying to install a new HU (Alpine IDA-x305) yesterday and I ran into a snag that is driving me nuts. I bought the wiring harness and wired everything up to color code, but when I installed HU I get sound from the speakers, but it is barely audible at all.

My car is a 2002 Z with the Monsoon system..my guess is I need to figure out how to power amp up with new unit...but I have no idea which wire I need to use from factory plug or even new wiring harness. Ive read through as much info as I can find, and Ive seen it posted several times that the remote wire from HU needs to be connected in order for amp to get signal to power on, but I dont know what I am supposed to connect it too on the wire harness or if I need to splice into a wire somewhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by JLBean; 02-08-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There is no remote wire on a Monsoon amp. It turns on using signal sensing... when audio is present, the amp turns on.

I suspect that you have an option on the new head unit set improperly. For example, some HUs allow you to turn off the internal amp and only provide pre-amp output. The Monsoon amp requires speaker level input so you must have the HU's internal amp turned on and the Monsoon amp connected to the HU's speaker output wires (not the pre-amp output).
Old 02-08-2010, 06:26 PM

Very possible as I bought stereo used, though I looked through the settings it's possible I missed it. Either way I'm excited I have an idea of what it could be now. Thanks much!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:14 AM

Ok that was not it. I found the setting and it was on...I changed it to off and you can hear the amp power down and then I get no sound at all. I turn it back on and you can hear the amp click and I get some sound again...but its very very quiet even at full blast. Is there anything else anyone can think of? Any reason why the audio would be so low? I went through every setting I could find and I did a reset on the stereo, but nothing I change makes a difference at all.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Did you check the RADIO ACCY fuse? That's the one that powers the amp. It's not likely blown because you hear the amp click on but it's easy to check.