LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Ls4 belt tensioner replacement, lessions I learned!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls4 belt tensioner replacement, lessions I learned!

Ok, I finished the belt tensioner replacement on my fiance's car.. It was not too bad after I figured out some tricks.. If any of y'all have to do this, take some advice from me. These are the tricks I learned.
Remove the battery, and disconnect- remove the fuse box.
Remove the 2 idler pulleys beneath the alternator.
Jack up the car and remove the pass. Side tire, then the plastic splash panel behind the tire.
Remove the 3 bolts behind the power steering pump that hold it on, this is important because there is a p/s line that runs right in front of the tensioner, and this will give it some slack. There are 4 bolts that hold the tensioner on, 3 hold it to the block, and one bolt holds a clamp on that is for that ps line.
All the bolts have to be removed by hand once you brake them
loose with a ratchet.
Now, the big thing I figured out, how to install the belt without that damn $100 tool. Now this must be done without the battery and fuse box in place.
Route your belt, leave it off of the power steering pump.. I used a large combination wrench.. Put the wrench on top of the power steering pump pulley and underneath the belt. Lift up on the wrench and slide it to position the belt. Then slide your wrench to the rear of the car to remove it! Easy as that!

Regards from the who dat nation!!!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Teching In

I really extremely terribly need the thread pitch diameter and length if any one has it for the belt tensioner. Mine fell off
Old 04-09-2010, 02:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

its an allen key i believe.. the biggest one in the set..but you need a special tool to remove the belt ..have been looking to remove it but havent found the tool locally
Old 04-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Teching In

Sorry let me clearify. My entire belt tensioner pulley fell off. Im am hoping not to have to guess the length, thread pitch and diameter of the four bolts that attach the belt tensioner puller assembly to the engine block. Thanks in advance.
Jayber, I used the same technique to slide my belt in place. Little did I know the tensioner assembly was already loose. Heard the shotgun noise and everything when the bolt(s) came out.

Last edited by ephronj; 04-09-2010 at 06:41 AM. Reason: To respond to Jayber
Old 12-12-2013, 04:51 PM

Hey jayber. I know this pist was from a few years ago but I'm really hoping your still on this site and can help. I have to replace my belt tensioner. I have the battery and holder out. I have the alternator out as well and the bracket that holds that on I cannot figure out how to get the tensioner into place there seems to be no room for and I don't know how to take the fuse box out. Please help!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blakss
its an allen key i believe.. the biggest one in the set..but you need a special tool to remove the belt ..have been looking to remove it but havent found the tool locally
I got the tool if u want to buy it ill sell it for 90 shipped witch is what i paid for it.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gxp06gp
Hey jayber. I know this pist was from a few years ago but I'm really hoping your still on this site and can help. I have to replace my belt tensioner. I have the battery and holder out. I have the alternator out as well and the bracket that holds that on I cannot figure out how to get the tensioner into place there seems to be no room for and I don't know how to take the fuse box out. Please help!!!!!!
The fuse box comes out really easy take the two 11mm nuts off that hold it down and inside there is four 7mm bolts that hold the plugs in place back them out as far as they will go and carefully pull each harness out from the bottom
Old 12-13-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jayber
Ok, I finished the belt tensioner replacement on my fiance's car.. It was not too bad after I figured out some tricks.. If any of y'all have to do this, take some advice from me. These are the tricks I learned.
Remove the battery, and disconnect- remove the fuse box.
Remove the 2 idler pulleys beneath the alternator.
Jack up the car and remove the pass. Side tire, then the plastic splash panel behind the tire.
Remove the 3 bolts behind the power steering pump that hold it on, this is important because there is a p/s line that runs right in front of the tensioner, and this will give it some slack. There are 4 bolts that hold the tensioner on, 3 hold it to the block, and one bolt holds a clamp on that is for that ps line.
All the bolts have to be removed by hand once you brake them
loose with a ratchet.
Now, the big thing I figured out, how to install the belt without that damn $100 tool. Now this must be done without the battery and fuse box in place.
Route your belt, leave it off of the power steering pump.. I used a large combination wrench.. Put the wrench on top of the power steering pump pulley and underneath the belt. Lift up on the wrench and slide it to position the belt. Then slide your wrench to the rear of the car to remove it! Easy as that!

Regards from the who dat nation!!!!!
Glad to see another Who Dat!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ls4 belt tensioner replacement, lessions I learned!