Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI any plans on offering a CM Kmember option??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default UMI any plans on offering a CM Kmember option??

just wondering if there were any plans on offering the road race k member in CM for those that need to get rid of every pound they can while keeping the utmost in strength for corner carving?
Old 02-09-2010, 07:43 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
Thanks for the interest in UMI Performance! It is a question we get a lot. And at this point I don't think we will offer a K Member in Chrome Moly we will just stay with the Uppers and Lowers in that material. Sorry for any inconvenience. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 02-09-2010, 08:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Brad is correct....... BUT I actually may be able to do a couple custom chrome moly ones if anyone is interested?

I just need to figure out a price. The problem with our K-member is they way it is designed it takes a lot of welding. When welding chrome moly we TIG weld it only which adds time and cost to the item. But we can do it if the price is right
Old 02-09-2010, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ shoot me a PM with a price quote im interested as long as it isnt like double the original price...any estimate on weight savings over your standard MS one?

Last edited by C Murda; 02-09-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:22 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by C Murda
^^^ shoot me a PM with a price quote im interested as long as it isnt like double the original price...any estimate on weight savings over your standard MS one?
I'll get you a PM today, I am going to sit down and calculate the weight savings and a cost for you. You can let me know

Ryan
Old 02-09-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UMi you guys are great! I love how you guys are going out of your way to satisfy customers!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:10 PM
FormerVendor

Great to hear. That's our #1 priority! We try to help anyway we possibly can.
Thanks Again
Brad
Old 02-09-2010, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I would be curious to know the price as well. I noticed a huge weight difference after doing an engine swap and would like to know how much weight an extra-reinforced (I drive on ROUGH roads) chromeoly K-member would save, and how much it would cost.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Ryan, if you dont mind would you post up the estimated weight savings on an all Chrome moly k-member? Oh and one other thing would the difference between the standard and road race version be 3lbs like the mild steel variant?
Old 02-10-2010, 07:14 AM
FormerVendor

Hello Everyone,

After some calculating the weight savings would only be 2.5lbs using chrome moly tubing.

The majority of the weight in this product is in the mounting plates and not the tubing itself. So switching to chrome moly tubing only saves so much but adds increase expensive since the material is much more expensive and the welding procedure is longer. Now UMI does weld there K-member with 50% TIG and 50% MIG right now.... however switching to chrome moly would require 100% TIG welding which increases manufacture time.

Our K-member is a very complex assembly and has a bit more manufacturing work than many others. This is why were are unable to offer it at a lower cost. However we are very pleased with the design, performance and fitment and our customers are pleased as well.

The additional cost would be $150.00 in chrome moly. For a mostly street driven car we would recommend the mild steel and save the cost.

If I can help anymore or anyone has interest let me know. We can do it if you want to pay

Best regards and thanks for support,
Ryan