car cleaning questions.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 10:28 AM
Ray
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car cleaning questions.......

Fellas,

My questions are mostly aimed at the "veterans" here. As soon as I get "up to speed" so to speak on detailling I'll be more than happy to contribute.

Questions are..........

I want the BEST product for each scenario for my car.

-What is the best leather car seat cleaner/conditioner?
-What's the best wax /polymer?
-What's the best cleaner/conditioner for the rubber molding around the windows, hood, trunk, etc.?
-What's the best wheel/ tire cleaner/conditioner?
-The best for the dash/vinyl /plastics in the interior?
-The best engine cleaner /conditioner?

-Pros and cons of a car bra?
-Using a car cover- How often do you use one?
-How do you protect your car from parking lot nicks and dings without hiring a security guard to sit next to your car every time you go somewhere?

I do prefer a good smelling(i.e.-Zaino) product and a product with a high UV sun protection(i.e.-303 Aerospace Protectant)

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 09-14-2002, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: car cleaning questions.......

I'm going to go with an off the store shelf routine.

Car wash, just a good quality car wash soap such as Zip wash or Turle wax. Do not use dishwashing soap (too harsh)

Wax, for show purposes Meguires Gold Class is good. For weather protection Liquid Glass.

Leather, I just keep it clean with a damp towel. Lexol makes a good cleaner. As for conditioner, I don't use it, it promotes soiling.

Interior Plastics, Again keep it clean with a damp towel. I do not like putting any goop on the interior trim, causes extra dust to stick, and usually looks shiney. I have had cars that sat outside for 5 years without any stuff put on the dash and it still looked great.

Exterior trim, I like Total Shine by Black Magic. It isn't greasy and it looks good.

Engine cleaner, diluted Simple Green. Simple grean make s a great all purpose cleaner for alot off surfaces.

Wheels, just use car wash soap and water. Any other cleaner will strip off any wax.

Tires, I like Clear Guard by Turtle Wax but I don't think you can get it anymore.

Bras, a GOOD bra I use ONLY for long trips out of state. All bras can cause some moinor scrathes but they typically come out.

Car Cover, Noah is supposedly a good one. My cars are in a garage so I don't use one.

Parking, simple park in the booneys, plus I rarely take my SS's to the store, thats what the Daily Driver is for.

I'll let others tout Zaino.
Old 09-14-2002, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure what you mean by "veterans here" but I've been around cars for most of my 54 years here on earth, I've used a lot of products over the years and I have to say Zaino is at the top of the list.

If you're looking for a wax I'd go with Mothers 100% carnabua wax, as for a polish Zaino Z-2 works great. I like the Zaino Z-9 & Z-10 products for leather care. Zaino Z-16 makes your tires look fresh, I hate the looks of a Mop & Glow tire ( why not just use Vasoline ).
Engine cleaners and conditioners as a whole only draw dust to the engine compartment, a lot of guys just use Simple Green and then rinse the engine off then wipe dry. I don't want to sound like a Zaino saleperson but you can't go wrong by just using there products.

The best way to keep from getting nicks & dings is do what I do, don't drive it. You can park your car as far away as you want and there will always be some dumb *** with his POS car that will park right next to you.

Al
Old 09-15-2002, 03:57 PM
Ray
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: car cleaning questions.......