Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

how long to pedal feels right? and one other question

Old 02-10-2010, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how long to pedal feels right? and one other question

Just had a ls7 clutch installed in my car, along with a new slave cylinder and new oversized hydraulic line with no restriction. the master is less than 6 months old.

i have roughly 90 miles of city driving on it and the clutch is still releasing right off the floor? how long before it adjusts itself out to normal? also, my car sits alot (oklahoma snow storms) and it feels like its bleeding off? when i drive it the pedal has little to no play when i push the pedal in....after sitting a day or two, it has about 1 to 1.5 inch of play up top? any ideas?

thanks in advance
Old 02-10-2010, 08:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not going to adjust itself out. As it wears out, it will get a bit better but by then you may have already damaged the blocker rings and fork pads inside the tranny because its notchy and hard to get into gear with the engine running. Everyone that says the LS7 clutch has a self adjusting mechanism is just full of mud IMO.

The pedal shouldn't bleed off and then pump back up when you drive it. That would seem to be a problem with the master I would think. Do you see fluid leaking anywhere?

One thing that I've learned from doing all our adjustable master kits is that a C6 has a 1.25" stroke/.750" bore master. The f-body has the same bore, but only a 1" stroke. An LS7 clutch is never going to release as good as it should in an f-body or c5 simply because the master isn't up to the task.

Our adjustable master has a .875" bore with a 1.100" stroke so it is capable of moving more than enough fluid for a complete disengagement. I would just about gaurantee our master would solve your issues.

-Jonathan
Old 02-10-2010, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

wow, that sucks....lol.....the shop did tell me straight up that it would adjust out on its on once it broke in and settled in.

i have noticed that when i am sitting on level ground, i have the clutch pedal down and put it in first gear the car will roll just a bit forward, it doesnt drop rpm's or keep moving but it does nudge forward. but also i did the in gear rev up to red line test and it didnt move?

i am saving for your master, trust me, its on the list....

other than that, it shifts fine and is not notchy putting it in gears, it is only on the floor that bothers me....

and no there is no fluid leaking anywhere, that i have noticed anyway....i installed the new master...maybe thinking it needs more bleeding?

thanks for the reply
Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

Have you checked the fluid level? Might need a little bit of fluid and/or a little more bleeding.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
Its not going to adjust itself out. As it wears out, it will get a bit better but by then you may have already damaged the blocker rings and fork pads inside the tranny because its notchy and hard to get into gear with the engine running. Everyone that says the LS7 clutch has a self adjusting mechanism is just full of mud IMO.
I respectfully disagree. All stock LSX clutches have self-adjusting pressure plates.

Having installed an LS7 clutch in my own car, I can tell you for a fact that it does in fact self-adjust. Upon installation, the pedal basically grabbed right off the floor. The more I drove it, the engagement point got closer to the center of the pedal travel. After about the first 100 miles, the pedal grabbed right in the center of the travel, and its been the same for the past year and a half.

Search this Thread