Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Copy Cams"?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Copy Cams"?

Anyone have any experience with these cams? I was on ebay and they came up in a search and was wondering if anybody has used them and what kind of experience they had with them; good, bad, or indifferent. They seem like a good deal for the money. I was looking at the HR 288 copy for my 5.3 in the Mustang.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

me personally no, but ive ran across some threads about them. search "ebay cams" in here and in the dyno section, i think youll get good results.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by zacht
me personally no, but ive ran across some threads about them. search "ebay cams" in here and in the dyno section, i think youll get good results.
I tried the search and didn't come up with anything about these "copy" cams.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are stock cams reground to different spec. I have heard a couple guys who love them and saw a thread where one guy says his cam wasn't hardened properly and had some wiped lobes. IMO a name cam isn't that much so I would just suck it up. If I were on that tight of a budget I would look used in the classifieds.....

Edit: the thread I referenced was in genIII internal a couple weeks ago.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
They are stock cams reground to different spec. I have heard a couple guys who love them and saw a thread where one guy says his cam wasn't hardened properly and had some wiped lobes. IMO a name cam isn't that much so I would just suck it up. If I were on that tight of a budget I would look used in the classifieds.....

Edit: the thread I referenced was in genIII internal a couple weeks ago.
Thanks, I figured they were just regrinding the lobes, the ad implies they use blanks. I think I will just get a cam off the classifides.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have purchased three of the cams, and installed two of them. The first one was an LS6 copy that doesnt run at all like a stock LS6 cam. The idle is choppy.
The next cam was an LS6 copy purchased from the same guy in Texas. This cam was ground so bad that the engine wouldnt idle on two cylinders. It was removed (after a lot of troubleshooting because heads and intake were done at the same time) and replaced with a factory GM LS6 cam. The factory cam Idles and works great. I am re4placing the other copy in the other car with a GM cam.

I contacted the Ebay guy from Texas, that I purchased them from two times, and he never got back to me. I would never use a reground cam again, it is not worth the headache.

Search this Thread