Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Parking Brake Shoe Assembly Sheared off! How to Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake Shoe Assembly Sheared off! How to Replace?

Long story short, I drove my car to California and the shitty *** roads they have there seem to have shaken loose bolts that hold the parking brake assembly to the axle. When I was leaving LA I heard what sounded like a metal grinding sound, but with no tools I couldn't really do anything about it. I got back to Arizona and this is what I found:

The last two pictures were taken after I removed all the bolts. Basically there was only one bolt that was still reasonably tight, one with the nut almost all the way off, one just sitting in the hole and the last was being tossed around in the parking brake assembly.

So basically I'm asking how I go about replacing these? I have my 10 bolt that I blew up last fall in the garage so I plan on just swapping those parts over. Do I need to remove the axles? If so how do I do it? Is there any special tricks to make things easier?

Needless to say that **** is gonna be locktited to all from now on...
Old 02-10-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's easy to take the axles out. There are instructions in the FAQ at the top:
http://www.keliente.com/gears1.htm

If you have a torsen there is a paddle that comes out of the carrier instead of the pin.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the help man, that was a good writeup.

I pulled the axles on my old 10 bolt and it was very easy. However, when I went to do it on the rear on my car I realized I was fucked. The paddle that holds the axles in will not clear my 4.10's and will not come out without removing the gears.

Luckily, I realized that I can just reach a box end wrench behind the axle and tighten the parking brake bolts that way. Just torqued them down and used some blue loctite and they should be good to go.

Kinda pissed that I had to go through all this bs when it was possible without pulling the axles. Oh well, off to autozone to get new fluid and RTV for my unneccesary removal of the diff cover