Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT header install questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT header install questions

what is the best way to get LT headers on my engine?

ive seen people that lift the motor, some that drop it, and some that wiggle the headers with the block on the mounts, what is the best/easiest way to install LT headers?

i havent bought them yet, just planning at this stage, but i am thinking about pacesetters or QTP stainless.

also what are the opinions on the best bang for the buck LT header?

thanks guys!
Old 02-11-2010, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

i plan on putting headers on my car this weekend. i was just going to bring them up from under the car. i hope i dont have too lift the motor! ive always heard pacesetters are good. cheap too.

i know there are lots of ppl on here that have installed headers them selves, any advise would b great!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My advice is to follow what Sabbath87 is planning to do. Just be sure to get the car as high as possible and be very careful getting it there.

Another thing both of you should consider is upgrading your motor mounts to either polys or solids while the exhaust manifolds are out of the car. They're kind of a bitch to install, but they're the only garantee that your new Y-pipe won't be banging on the floorpan every time you punch the throttle.

I've been a part of three Jet Hot LT installs and each time we also installed a set of Prothane Poly Motor Mounts. Not one banging Y-pipe issue. Like I said they can be a PITA, but there's a great write-up on here that you can follow and once you finish you'll be glad you did. Good luck to both you guys on your upcoming installs.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Junkie

+10000 on the motor mounts!!! that $60 will make your life easier in the future!

to get mine high enough in my drive way i put the rears on 1/2 cinder blocks, and the front son jackstands ON TOP OF cinderblocks.

here is a pretty comprehensive write up i did on my install:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/243722/11
Old 02-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Dynatechs on my car.

Spray PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, WD40 to losen up the manifold bolts.

Take the coil packs off.

Be prepared to break the maniford to CAT studs

Once removed, and on the install, you do NOT need to lift the motor off the mounts. On the driver side, I had to take off the oil filter and drain plug, that was the worst part.

Having a 2nd set of hand help a good deal.

FYI I am rolling on stock mounts with the Dynatech Kit that has CATS and no banging at all. Pacesetter a good amount of the time does bang but thats what you get for the price. I am not a fan of them. I would recommend Kooks, ARH, Dynatech, 1st.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had to remove the steering knuckle with my Pacesetter install. Took like ten minutes to remove it and put it back on. You don't need to lift the motor or grind the motor tab. People who did that stuff didn't realize they could take off the steering knuckle or they have crazy weird headers.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:14 PM
MASS seller approved

i didnt have to do anything special i had some pacesetter laying arounf i suggest hooker or anyone besides flowtech,pacesetter,slp the worst part of my install was taking out the stock exaust that had 10 years to seize up but if you have a sawsaw it would be cake
Old 02-11-2010, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

Take your time relax and have fun. I was in the same position as you over the summer.I followed a write up made sure I had neccessary time and materials and everything came out great. Truck jack stands worked great for me you really want to get it up nice and high. Also, be careful with the header bolts if you don't have extra. It will feel great in the end when you fire it up and take it for a drive trust me.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Don't forget the anti-sieze.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

got to lift it up about 20" or so. go from the bottom. if you jack up the driver side of the motor while you are doing that side it isn't too bad.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

I just popped my driver side into place (put a jack under the collector, no damage to the headers or the car so.) then the passenger side just layed right in.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I just had to remove the steering knuckle with my Pacesetter install. Took like ten minutes to remove it and put it back on. You don't need to lift the motor or grind the motor tab. People who did that stuff didn't realize they could take off the steering knuckle or they have crazy weird headers.
took 2 mins with a hand held hack saw to trim the tab on my motor.
would have been faster with a sawz-all.

so for me 2min>>10min on the knuckle
Old 02-17-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by teke184
took 2 mins with a hand held hack saw to trim the tab on my motor.
would have been faster with a sawz-all.

so for me 2min>>10min on the knuckle
I stand corrected.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the LPP ones before they started doin it themselves (so they have the same logo as the ebay ones =/ )
they went in real easy, no problems at all

+1 on DO THE MOUNTS NOW!!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Underneath. Shouldn't have to move anything. Some people put a jack under the engine and to net themselves another inch or so of clearance. As aforementioned, take your time, and have fun in the process. I always think- Its easy to get frustrated and angry, but that wont make the job any easier.