Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Rear Diff Bushing Question (Warranty Denied)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Diff Bushing Question (Warranty Denied)

I have been told by my dealership that my rear diff bushing will not be covered under warranty due to my aftermarket axles. First they told me that it was because I had an aftermarket driveshaft. I assured them that it was stock. They said they could tell there was wrenching going on. The Gforce decal didn't help either (take decal off if you plan on warranty work).
I am going to speak with my adviser/manager tomorrow. I do not think that my axles have anything to do with the badly deteriorated bushing. Do I have any ground to stand on?
Should I push the issue with them or just suck it up and pay them $600 to replace it?

For those who will bash me for trying to get warranty work on a modded car, please do not post. My mods have nothing to do with a badly deteriorated bushing.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks... my warranty ran out at 50K so I've been on my own for the last 16k miles...
Old 02-11-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

just replace it your self..its like 70 for a polly one or stick a new rubber one in. if u can change an axle ..the bushing really isnt that bad.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree on doing it yourself. Pick up a polyurethane and it then becomes a mod
Old 02-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Teching In

A couple of suggestions for you:

Take the matter up with the Service Manager (or Director), politely explain the situation to him, and see where that leads. They can be your best friend or your worst enemy. You can also get GM involved by calling GM's customer assistance center.

Another option may be to try a different dealership, as they are all operated differently. I've worked at many, some will take any business that comes in the door, others were very picky about what they worked on.

As mentioned, you may just be better off replacing it yourself since it is a minimal service you need. If it was a high dollar repair, I would certainly fight tooth and nail.

Just my thoughts.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Regular

I found a high performance shop that did great work and they installed my diff bushing for 175.00 plus i rented pisnuoff's diff bushing puller. worth 200, for sure

check around. my warranty ran out 10k ago. if something breaks, replace with better. OR replace with better before it breaks. YES!!
Old 02-12-2010, 01:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VeryWhiteDevil
check around. my warranty ran out 10k ago. if something breaks, replace with better. OR replace with better before it breaks. YES!!
Thats my philosophy..although I should have held out for a car with a 100k warranty. I got my car in July and the GMC dealer that I bought it through assured me the car was under warranty...when I got it, it had 41k miles on it, but the years had run out in June and they would do nothing for me. I should have pushed the issue, but I love wrenching on it. I've had to do a lot of little things like the water pump, hoses, and some other maintanence stuff.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

id do the bushing yourself, and wait on pushing the issue for something else worth more money lol. And next time id find another dealer, even drive a ways if possible, some dealers dont care, mine commented on the corvette FRC's and K&N and muffler delete(good comment lol) when I had the rear redone.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:02 AM
FormerVendor

I'd explain that the axles eliminate the hop and will in turn eliminate future warranty problems associated with wheel hop damage and then tell them your going to another dealship and wont ever be back.
Sometimes going to another dealer is a good thing, they all operated differently and the service managers seem to be the first line of BS you have to get through.

But if it was me, I'd do the bushing swap yourself.

Thanks
Chris
Old 02-12-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rip the sticker off throw some dirt at it and goto another dealer...it's a problem with cars in stock form...they should take care of you.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

Doesn't the Magnuson-Moss Act prevent dealers from saying crap like that?
Old 02-13-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would just go to a different dealership. but since this is such a simple mod i would do it myself and fight for a big issue.

but never go back to that dealership
Old 02-14-2010, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gforce Engineering
I'd explain that the axles eliminate the hop and will in turn eliminate future warranty problems associated with wheel hop damage and then tell them your going to another dealship and wont ever be back.
This is exactly what I was going to say. Those axles are helping to avoid GM having to pay to replace your differential.

Of course, getting them to understand that is probably next to impossible.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

the fight about warranty is that if a dealership dined you because of something, they need hard proof that the mod you have on your car is actually what caused the problem you have a good fight about how these go on a stock car but is it really worth the time and aggravation...
Old 02-14-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm meeting with my old service adviser (conveniently promoted once I noticed the bushing) Monday. He is a gear head and builds drag cars in his spare time. I am hoping he can explain to them that the axle actually helps the rear end. Oh well. We'll see. Worst case its $500 and peace of mind that Cadillac did the bushing and I don't eff something up.

Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:16 AM
FormerVendor

I've had Caddie dealers install our axles and in the GTO market I've had Pontiac dealers install our axles. It's funny when they throw a fit about aftermarket axles and decide not to warranty something, huh, LOL
It would be funny if someone had a problem like this and then the dealer remembered they installed them in hopes of not having a warranty issue down the road

Thanks
Chris
Old 02-14-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

i still dont understand why you would pay them 500 bucks when you go to other shops for them to do axles, clutches and what not. thats all stuff you dealership could have done for much more money.

so im confused why you would have them put in a sub par part for 500 bucks. when a better unit is like 75 and install could be like 200 if you didnt do it yourself
Old 02-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Banned

Does this kindof make you wonder if they would cover your differential if it poped?

To be honest When I first bought my V I said to myself: **** i should of gotten one with a warrenty!

But now after all my mods it doesnt matter.

Good luck man.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gforce Engineering
I've had Caddie dealers install our axles...
Unfortunately I am not close to Lindsey Cadillac. They rock!

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
i still dont understand why you would pay them 500 bucks when you go to other shops for them to do axles, clutches and what not. thats all stuff you dealership could have done for much more money.

so im confused why you would have them put in a sub par part for 500 bucks. when a better unit is like 75 and install could be like 200 if you didnt do it yourself
I had Monster install their clutch. I had Monster install Gforce because of their good relationship. It really wont save me much to have them install the bushing due to the long amount of labor. I'd rather have the Caddy dealer do it. Not to mention it's way more convenient. I get a CTS loaner and it is 2 miles from my office. Monster/SNL is 60 miles and no free loaner.

I'm fine with the stock bushing. It lasted me around 40,000 miles, the new one will last the same with no added noise like with the aftermarket bushing.

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
Does this kindof make you wonder if they would cover your differential if it poped?
There are NO documented 2006 or 2007 Vs that have blown their rear. There have been 2004 and 2005 Vs that have been retrofitted with the 2006/2007 rear diff and blown them, but no LS2 Vs that has blown the rear (that I have ever heard of). Having done an axle install on a 2005 and 2007 V, I can tell you that there are subtle differences in the rear setup other than just the axles and diff.

Cliffs Notes: I'm not worried about blowing my diff. I know that with my mods even if it did blow (not gonna happen) no dealership would cover it.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

There are NO documented 2006 or 2007 Vs that have blown their rear. There have been 2004 and 2005 Vs that have been retrofitted with the 2006/2007 rear diff and blown them, but no LS2 Vs that has blown the rear (that I have ever heard of). Having done an axle install on a 2005 and 2007 V, I can tell you that there are subtle differences in the rear setup other than just the axles and diff.
I did not know that..thats good info.

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Bushing Question (Warranty Denied)