Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Basic help - will buy from vendors

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic help - will buy from vendors

I am having an issue with something to do with my rear suspenion. First of all in general it is fine, car drives normal, ect. If I do a good take off, not smashing the gas but say 50% or more, the *** ends up bouncing around like a money hungry stripper. I don't want to go overboard, there's general wheep hop (which I heard was standard on these). Another issue i'm having with the suspension is in the back it's making a werid creeking sound when I hit a bump, i've noticed it more lately. One time I was taking my g/f and a two of her friends out to a bar or something, and I hit a good sized bump and it made a good thud sound. I'd say the combined weight of all 3 is about 400ish pounds, so there no heffers. I don't know if it's a gasket or something simple I could replace, or if that's a warning sign they shocks / struts need to be replaced.

I tried looking thorugh the site to see some basic information on how it all works, but still a little stressed. If something is going wrong or sounds like, i'd rather replace in pairs or all fours. I don't need some dirt brand autozone **** made from a hut in tyland, but I don't need 8 way adjustable, brand X that is taking me to the cleaners. I want to be able to fix these issues and be done with it. On a scale of 0 being **** poor quality and 10 being top of the line, I'd like to purchase somewhere in the 6-8 area range. Let me know if you need more information and any links with good prices will be click on. I plan on taking care of this in the next month or so.

Edit: Guess I should also add the car has 74,000 miles on it and is very lightly modded compared to most, full regular weight.

Thanks for reading and any advice/comments. Ryan

Last edited by liquidsmooth; 02-11-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

it's pretty hard to diagnose problems such as "i hear a squeak" or a "thud" but i'll try to give you some input so you know where to start

Originally Posted by liquidsmooth
If I do a good take off, not smashing the gas but say 50% or more, the *** ends up bouncing around like a money hungry stripper. I don't want to go overboard, there's general wheep hop (which I heard was standard on these).
LCA's will probably do the trick for this (they're the cheap and easy way out), but i would advise you to stay away from poly/poly. get something adjustable with a rod end on one side or a non adjustable set with UMI's new roto joint in one or both ends.

if just LCA's doesn't cure it, then look into new shocks (stock ones kinda suck anyway) or a torque arm. i would recommend shocks anyway, as they can be a large factor in wheel hop, and also because a decent set will make the car FAR more enjoyable to drive and ride in in general.

Another issue i'm having with the suspension is in the back it's making a werid creeking sound when I hit a bump, i've noticed it more lately.....I hit a good sized bump and it made a good thud sound.
check for any loose bolts or worn bushings. could try torquing and greasing everything. if everything looks good some subframe connectors may help cut down on the creakiness of the car.

the thud might have just been you hitting the bump stops. if you hit a big enough bump (especially if you have extra weight in the back) you'll hear/feel them hit.

I don't need some dirt brand autozone **** made from a hut in tyland, but I don't need 8 way adjustable, brand X that is taking me to the cleaners.
might as well do it right the first time. you don't seem to have any serious problems so you're not going to be spending a ton. might wanna use this as an excuse to do some nice upgrades (suspension mods are relatively cheap and have a huge benefit)
Old 02-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Wow creeper thanks alot for breaking that down and the responces. If you want to give me all the good brands/ or brands to stay away from, as i've never had a modded suspension that'd be very helpful!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

I use UMI and Spohn's stuff. If I were you I'd start off with the LCA's. they'll probably kill the wheel hop and make the car feel a bit more solid. while installing those check around for your squeek.

subframe connectors are a good idea in general because they'll help prevent future squeaks/creaks and rattles. i'd recommend them just to preserve the chassis if you plan on keeping the car for a while. they firm it up quite a bit. i prefer weld in for maximum effectiveness (i have no idea what brand i have on my car, but UMI offers some nice ones). they may transmit a bit more of the feel of bumps from the rear to the front, but i didn't notice it much and the difference they made in solidifying the car made them well worth it. also if you go with boxed, you can use them as jacking/jack stand points which is really nice.

at some point i would also recommend new shocks. you may not need them right now but they're a great upgrade to consider in the future. by 90k my stock shocks were toast. you can get a set of bilsteins for ~$400ish and they'll make the car a lot more fun to drive. supposedly the KYB AGX's work pretty well with stock springs too but i don't have any experience with those.