Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 vs. Professional Products intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls6 vs. Professional Products intake

has anyone peronally had a professional products intake on a ls1? I'm looking to get a intake for my car, it will have a small cam, longtubes and exhaust. looking at the professional products dyno graph, their intake does not seem to make any more power than the ls6 below 6000 rpm. Any thoughts from people that have had both by any chance?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is the dyno u r looking at on a stock motor ls1? because i can tell u the diff is when u through a big cam and aftermarket heads on.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Default dyno?

The dyno results i'm talking about are on the professional products website, they were on a ls1 with AFR heads. and the gain is almost non existent below 5600rpm.

http://www.professional-products.com...ests/52060.pdf

I was just wondering if anyone has one and says if it made a noticeable difference. I mean it also weighs more than 10lbs more than a LS6. and then there is the headsoak issue people talk about.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I installed the 85mm typhoon intake w/ there 85mm tb a few weeks back and felt a definate sotp's gain @ every rpm over the stock LS1 w/ a p&p TB ..Most here will tell you to just go LS6 "because its proven". The Typhoon starts seperating itself from the LS6 in the higher rpms, thats where it makes more power. Plus imo looks alot better then the stock looking LS6. Heatsoak is a bunch of BS and do you really care about 10-15 pds?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...take-pics.html
Old 02-12-2010, 08:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a customer swap out an LS6 intake for a PP unit and re-dyno just a few weeks ago. He had already had the PP TB on the car previously. After his issues with sealing were fixed (it had to come back off the car twice), it made a whopping 2 more rwhp at peak than the LS6 but it gave up several ft/lbs of tq everywhere under the mid-4K region. I don't know what PP claims, but this is what I have seen first hand.

That's why most people would tell someone to just get the LS6 intake.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Banned

Go with the LS6
Old 02-12-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Frost
I had a customer swap out an LS6 intake for a PP unit and re-dyno just a few weeks ago. He had already had the PP TB on the car previously. After his issues with sealing were fixed (it had to come back off the car twice), it made a whopping 2 more rwhp at peak than the LS6 but it gave up several ft/lbs of tq everywhere under the mid-4K region. I don't know what PP claims, but this is what I have seen first hand.

That's why most people would tell someone to just get the LS6 intake.
What was his setup? PP claimed the additional 17hp on a heads/cam car and most of it was up top, i believe in the test he pointed out that it made less hp in the mid range then the LS6 but then picked up most of the power top end. This intake is suppose to continue to make power where the LS6 falls off.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was a 224/224 112LSA car with stage 1.5 TEAs and the usual boltons. Oddly enough, I have tuned 6 different cars with that almost exact same setup.

I would wager the TB was worth 3-4, but he had that on before the intake (when it was an LS6).

All kids of companies claim all kinds of numbers though... Look at a K&N box, or the junk MAFs sold by Summit and Jegs for example. If the manufacturer's claims were all true, everyone would have a 500HP LS1.

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
What was his setup? PP claimed the additional 17hp on a heads/cam car and most of it was up top, i believe in the test he pointed out that it made less hp in the mid range then the LS6 but then picked up most of the power top end. This intake is suppose to continue to make power where the LS6 falls off.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Typhoon is junk. If you want a metal intake look at BBK. If I were you I would go LS6.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Frost
It was a 224/224 112LSA car with stage 1.5 TEAs and the usual boltons. Oddly enough, I have tuned 6 different cars with that almost exact same setup.

I would wager the TB was worth 3-4, but he had that on before the intake (when it was an LS6).

All kids of companies claim all kinds of numbers though... Look at a K&N box, or the junk MAFs sold by Summit and Jegs for example. If the manufacturer's claims were all true, everyone would have a 500HP LS1.
Lol im almost 33 yo and have owned several of these cars from back in the LT1 days and certainly not nieve enough buy into all company claims, especially performance parts wise..he did the test and posted the dyno sheets specifically for this site. I can tell you I gained alot more then 3-4 Hp from my setup over my current LS1 intake and ported TB..On the other hand I can honestly say If i had his setup and wanted to move from the LS6 all I would go w/ would be a ported fast....For my setup it was a nice gain for minimal cost.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Looked at your pictures and the intake sure looks nice! I am up in the air between this manifold and the LS6 for my LS1 in the near future. I think the main reason I would go with the manifold you have is because I plan on boosting my LS1.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:43 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't let a plastic intake fool you into thinking it wont handle boost! I worked at a factory in Frankfort KY that makes plastic intakes for alot of car manufactures and the L76 Intake was one of the intakes we made which is a "Lost Core" 1 pc plastic intake just like the LS6 intake. We did burst tests on all these parts to check integrity. The procedure was to close off all ports and bosses to build up pressure, we would then pump water into the intake until it blew up. Most all the intakes we made held over 5bar of water pressure! Water doesnt compress nearly as easy as air does either!

I don't work there anymore but just wanted to clarify the plastic intake/boost talk.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

ls6 intake, hard to beat unless you are going with a fast.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

go with the ls6. kinda off topic but i had a friend pick up like 30 hp and 30 tq with a fast 92 over the typhoon. if u got the cash i'd go with a fast. just my .02
Old 02-14-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is a thread on intake dyno testing around here.the BBK intake with a 85mm TB made a little more power than a LS6 combo.I used a profesional product intake on my sbc ,intake ports did not match up to the heads.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
Don't let a plastic intake fool you into thinking it wont handle boost! I worked at a factory in Frankfort KY that makes plastic intakes for alot of car manufactures and the L76 Intake was one of the intakes we made which is a "Lost Core" 1 pc plastic intake just like the LS6 intake. We did burst tests on all these parts to check integrity. The procedure was to close off all ports and bosses to build up pressure, we would then pump water into the intake until it blew up. Most all the intakes we made held over 5bar of water pressure! Water doesnt compress nearly as easy as air does either!

I don't work there anymore but just wanted to clarify the plastic intake/boost talk.
Good information!

Quick Reply: ls6 vs. Professional Products intake