Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Tuning..

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 05:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Default New to Tuning..

I just recently bought HP Tuners Pro. I've been messing with the building aspect of these cars for a while so I understand alot about wiring and building. I want to get into Tuning it.

I have used the program so I know my way around it..I know how to turn off the O2's..things like that. I have to adjust my Tach so I know where that is too.

I know that Engine Temperature has a major factor in things too..and I have to make some adjustments to the Tune that I currently have cause the previous tuner didn't account for it.

Basically I know my way around it like that..the parts I'm looking for tips on is things like Timing, Fuel Rate(I'm pretty sure this table is adjusted to the A/F readout), and things of that nature.

Is the trick to this as basic as getting all the little stuff done, then starting with a set Timing and Fuel Rate(within the Injectors capability), then pulling/adding timing and adjusting the Fuel Tables accordingly to keep it as close to optimum and eventually come up with the right combination that makes the most power possible?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is some beginners/basic tuning info I out together, hope it helps. Do fueling related adjustments and then to timing. The guide is just that, a guide, I am always looking for new information to add and betters ways to tune so I can add it to this document.

Beginners Guide
Old 02-12-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

either go to, or get the home version of
www.Thetuningschool.com
Old 02-13-2010, 07:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Or check out our book...

http://www.masportspeedshop.com/serv...-tuning/Detail

Cheers!
Old 02-13-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dan@masportspeedshop
Ive heard good stuff about you to, but havent been to your course or seen your books
Old 02-14-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Basically I know my way around it like that..the parts I'm looking for tips on is things like Timing, Fuel Rate(I'm pretty sure this table is adjusted to the A/F readout), and things of that nature.

Is the trick to this as basic as getting all the little stuff done, then starting with a set Timing and Fuel Rate(within the Injectors capability), then pulling/adding timing and adjusting the Fuel Tables accordingly to keep it as close to optimum and eventually come up with the right combination that makes the most power possible?
Not sure what all that says, but tuning is basically just correcting the airflow tables (MAF/VE) until the PCM know how much air each cylinder is getting and every RPM at any load. Once that is done you can just tweek the PE table for WOT fueling adjustments to determine the best AFR for power.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
I just recently bought HP Tuners Pro. I've been messing with the building aspect of these cars for a while so I understand alot about wiring and building. I want to get into Tuning it.

I have used the program so I know my way around it..I know how to turn off the O2's..things like that. I have to adjust my Tach so I know where that is too.

I know that Engine Temperature has a major factor in things too..and I have to make some adjustments to the Tune that I currently have cause the previous tuner didn't account for it.

I have a good EFI tuning book you can borrow, when you get out of the land of sand and camels. You get good at tuning and I'll switch my car back to injection.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
I have a good EFI tuning book you can borrow, when you get out of the land of sand and camels. You get good at tuning and I'll switch my car back to injection.
Sounds good man, I'm sure we can work something out.