Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LTx front brakes to C5 rotor/bracket or LSx rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LTx front brakes to C5 rotor/bracket or LSx rotor?

I have an 94 Formula. I have been considering the C5 rotors and adapter brackets but just upgrading to the LS1 style seems like also a pretty good swap and much cheaper. Any thoughts over the improvement for the C5 rotor/bracket/C5 caliper over just upgrading to LSx style front brakes?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazz-LT1
I have an 94 Formula. I have been considering the C5 rotors and adapter brackets but just upgrading to the LS1 style seems like also a pretty good swap and much cheaper. Any thoughts over the improvement for the C5 rotor/bracket/C5 caliper over just upgrading to LSx style front brakes?
The C5 rotor has two distinct advantages over the LS1 setup. 1) The curved internal cooling vanes which pump more air and keep the rotor cooler 2) larger diameter which extends the moment arm as a result provides more brake torque.

Rotor dimensions (dia) LS1 Camaro = 11.93" LT1 Camaro 10.94" C5 12.81"

So the 98+ F-Body rotor will give you better brake torque but reduced pedal sensitivity (depending on your tastes that could be good or bad but keep it in mind).

If you're on a budget, simply flushing your fluid to a new high quality DOT 3/4/5.1, bleeding the brakes and changing the stock rotors/pads will do wonders.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jazz-LT1
I would go LS1 brakes, they are a huge improvement over the LT1 turds. Usually you can get the calipers/spindles/brake lines for 200$ in the used section or if you want go pick some up at a junkyard out of any 98-02 fbody (v6 versions have the same brakes up front) maybe cheaper. Then get some brembo blanks and hawk pads, bleed brakes and get some new fluid. So figure 375$.

Seeing you "autocross" you might hit up Sam Strano and see what he recommends, he knows a LITTLE bit about that.

C5 brakes are 820$ for the below

- (1) Set - UMI Performance’s conversion brackets
- (1) Set - GM PBR Pressure cast front calipers
- (1) Set - Hawk HPS pads
- (2) Front Corvette C5 Raybestos rotors
Then you have to cut your stock spindles and get C5 brake lines, also you have to have 17" or bigger wheels.

So around 1000$ if you buy all new hardware for a SLIGHTLY better braking experience over LS1 brakes. I did the C5 conversion because I got a good deal on a setup, and they look goood. I am happy with it, but its not worth an extra 600$.

Quick Reply: LTx front brakes to C5 rotor/bracket or LSx rotor?