Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N/A vs. Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N/A vs. Nitrous

Going from summer time DD to a weekend warrior. Which build will show better results, n/a or nitrous? Just asking about LS1's, nothing else.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well.... naturally no2 will add power to anything. Some extreme guys even run no2 with boost....
Old 02-12-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about building it up to a good N/A RWHP number and use forged internals and have nitro just in case

if not then id say go N/A cause you wont "run out" of power and need a refill
Old 02-12-2010, 11:53 AM

Depending on you budget.
The Faster and Cheaper way to make power= Nitrous
The Safer but More Expensive way= Naturally Aspirated
(^ Stating the Obvious^)
It's going to take more bolt-on parts (more money) to make the power of a simple Nitrous install but you run the risk of breaking something over time.
It all just depends on what you are willing to put in to the build.

Originally Posted by C Murda
how about building it up to a good N/A RWHP number and use forged internals and have nitro just in case

if not then id say go N/A cause you wont "run out" of power and need a refill
^Good Point^

I Vote N/A
Good Luck either way.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm enjoying my N/A setup..the power is there.. ALL the time..
Old 02-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Teching In

after having nitrous on my car for a while i would say if you have the money go N/A. it would be much nicer to have the power there all the time, and i have the bottle where the spare was so if i want to use spray i have to think about it before i leave to open the bottle.
But in your case that might be ok being a weekend warrior, at least if you get a remote bottle opener
Old 02-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Im partial to forced induction but play with No2 also my opinion if you can build the n/a motor bullet proof the rest is just icing on the cake
Old 02-12-2010, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Yes I did say BUILD, but a light build. I got the car for 4g's so I'm going to put 4g's into it. Remote bottle opener is a definate. I don't want the power there all the time like some of you. I'd rather have it very drivable with decent power and when I need the extra power I have it. Already ordered the basics like LT's and 4.10's. And I'm not going to be hitting the button off every light, just a shot or two on the weekends. I drive like grandpa 90% of the time.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

for a small cost you can put a mild cam in the car and have damn near stock driveability and reliability.

something like the cheaTER cam or any other stealth setup.

that way you can run a smaller (safer) shot and still make good power
Old 02-12-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why do some of you refer to nitrous as dangerous? With the right tune, plugs, fueling, and knowing when to use it, seems relatively safe. Sure I wouldnt run a 300 shot on a stock motor, but it should handle a 50-75 shot just fine! If run right, it should be breaking transmissions, not nitrous, am I correct?
Old 02-12-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WizardofDetailing
Yes I did say BUILD, but a light build. I got the car for 4g's so I'm going to put 4g's into it. Remote bottle opener is a definate. I don't want the power there all the time like some of you. I'd rather have it very drivable with decent power and when I need the extra power I have it. Already ordered the basics like LT's and 4.10's. And I'm not going to be hitting the button off every light, just a shot or two on the weekends. I drive like grandpa 90% of the time.
if this is the case then you already know the answer...Nitrous
Old 02-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All depends on what your trying to do. If your looking for more power all the time then bigger cubic inches or a head and cam combo is what you want.

N2o has it place but is not usable all the time. You have no partial throttle gains from it driving down the street. Where a h/c or bigger cubic inches you have the power all the time under your foot ready to go.

N2o though can make 100hp to how ever much you dare to spray and is the great equalizer so in racing situations it's a great inexpensive way to make big power.

Call comes down to application. ( and budget)
Old 02-12-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

this is always a personal opinion
but here is my 2 petty pennys
Nitrous is the best bang for your buck Horsepower wise
Old 02-12-2010, 02:04 PM
9 Second Club

If it were me and you have a 4k budget, get a good heads/cam and tune. That will keep you happy for a while and a good start point.
You'll want to go faster shortly thereafter and you'l get a good converter/ gears, you'll start lightening up the car, tearing the a/c out etc. You may start out with a small stroker 383, 402, 408 and you'll be happy for a bit.
You're gonna end up putting that 150 shot on it and she'll get deep in the 10's and you'll be happy for a while but then you're gonna want that "9"
THEN you will have a descision to make, do I go 9's N/A or on spray/boost?
I chose N/A, got a killer 441 from Cartek and ran mid nines my 3rd pass out. Of course you'll need a new trans, better suspension, tires, wheels, electronics, injectors, headers, exhaust etc etc etc
Then you'll wind up selling your perfectly good 441 only to buy another 441 but THIS 441 can take ALOT of spray and get you well into the 8's, sure you'll need MORE upgrades, suspension, fuel delivery, intake, nitrous, nitrous electronics, $$$$$$ etc etc etc
Now although this may SOUND like it's my experience (actually it is, haha) but we're talking about you here-IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU, never mind me.

It's a sick to to hell my friend, haha 4k budget?? we'll just see about that!
Old 02-12-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going from summer time DD to a weekend warrior. Which build will show better results, n/a or nitrous? Just asking about LS1's, nothing else.
hope i'm not missing some ridiculous variable here, but better results would be had with the car built for nitrous. end of thread.
you can build the hell out of your LS1 motor going NA, but you're never going to make as much power as the LS1 motor you build for and use with nitrous.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
hope i'm not missing some ridiculous variable here, but better results would be had with the car built for nitrous. end of thread.
you can build the hell out of your LS1 motor going NA, but you're never going to make as much power as the LS1 motor you build for and use with nitrous.
With that said... The OP said he wanted to turn his DD in to a Weekend Warrior not a All Out Race Car. So i say get a Full Exhaust setup, H/C/I combo, Rear End then and then Suspension mods.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
+1
Originally Posted by SICK-SILVER-WS6
With that said... The OP said he wanted to turn his DD in to a Weekend Warrior not a All Out Race Car. So i say get a Full Exhaust setup, H/C/I combo, Rear End then and then Suspension mods.
Thats the route I'm going to go with, but suspension then rearend. And 4.10's, I'm not putting slicks on my car. I already have drag cars and bikes. This is for the street, and if I take it to the track I still want street tires on it. I know there is a big debate about the weak stock 10 bolt, but I'll wait til I break it. Thats more fun and gives you a real reason to upgrade.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tektrans
If it were me and you have a 4k budget, get a good heads/cam and tune. That will keep you happy for a while and a good start point.
You'll want to go faster shortly thereafter and you'l get a good converter/ gears, you'll start lightening up the car, tearing the a/c out etc. You may start out with a small stroker 383, 402, 408 and you'll be happy for a bit.
You're gonna end up putting that 150 shot on it and she'll get deep in the 10's and you'll be happy for a while but then you're gonna want that "9"
THEN you will have a descision to make, do I go 9's N/A or on spray/boost?
I chose N/A, got a killer 441 from Cartek and ran mid nines my 3rd pass out. Of course you'll need a new trans, better suspension, tires, wheels, electronics, injectors, headers, exhaust etc etc etc
Then you'll wind up selling your perfectly good 441 only to buy another 441 but THIS 441 can take ALOT of spray and get you well into the 8's, sure you'll need MORE upgrades, suspension, fuel delivery, intake, nitrous, nitrous electronics, $$$$$$ etc etc etc
Now although this may SOUND like it's my experience (actually it is, haha) but we're talking about you here-IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU, never mind me.

It's a sick to to hell my friend, haha 4k budget?? we'll just see about that!
Maybe if this was my only toy, lol. Did you start out small and then get crazy with your car?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Why do some of you refer to nitrous as dangerous? With the right tune, plugs, fueling, and knowing when to use it, seems relatively safe. Sure I wouldnt run a 300 shot on a stock motor, but it should handle a 50-75 shot just fine! If run right, it should be breaking transmissions, not nitrous, am I correct?
there aren't many guys out there running such a small shot.

100-150hp shot can put a lot of stress on the engine and drivetrain.

even with the "safety" items in place...things still break.

i'd be willing to bet alot more cars have damaged something after a nitrous shot than running all day on a cam.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1

Thats the route I'm going to go with, but suspension then rearend. And 4.10's, I'm not putting slicks on my car. I already have drag cars and bikes. This is for the street, and if I take it to the track I still want street tires on it. I know there is a big debate about the weak stock 10 bolt, but I'll wait til I break it. Thats more fun and gives you a real reason to upgrade.
Breaking parts is really not all that fun - break the rear end and you are stuck and need a tow home. Break your drive shaft without a loop and you might need a new car.

Your signature notes you already have 3.73 gears, not sure you will see great difference with change to 4.10 - might better spend your money on a set of long tube headers.

Easiest install would be N20 and if you don't get stupid with it you can have a lot of fun with a weekend car. With a 6 speed, H/C combo would be a lot more fun to drive.

Quick Reply: N/A vs. Nitrous