Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

question about Monsoon system and aftermarket HU

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question about Monsoon system and aftermarket HU

I bought my ta with no deck,, last guy had an aftermarket one in it,,,
i belive its a monsoon car as its got the 6 speaker locations,,,
i wired up my kenwood cd player and it seems to be getting sound out of all speakers.
question is is it useing my internal amp in the deck or is the stock amp taking over? i would assume the stock amp is less then the decks amp.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by jcurrieta
I bought my ta with no deck,, last guy had an aftermarket one in it,,,
i belive its a monsoon car as its got the 6 speaker locations,,,
i wired up my kenwood cd player and it seems to be getting sound out of all speakers.
question is is it useing my internal amp in the deck or is the stock amp taking over?
Actually, it's using both but I guess your question was meant to find out if the Monsoon amp is still working... unless the entire car has been rewired to run all speakers directly from the head unit, the Monsoon amp is still there and working. The Monsoon amp uses speaker-level input so it relies on the head unit's internal amp to provide that signal.

Originally Posted by jcurrieta
i would assume the stock amp is less then the decks amp.
Why would you assume that? Your aftermarket head unit probably produces around 14 watts RMS per channel into four channels (maybe 17 watts if you got a really powerful one). The Monsoon amp produces about 30 watts RMS per channel into eight channels.

Monsoon amps may not be the biggest or most powerful amps but they are always going to be better than the head unit by itself.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed!! The stock amp is not all that powerful but it is better then running directly off the aftermarket HU. In fact combining an aftermarket HU with the stock amp actually helps things a bit because you are then feeding the stock amp a cleaner signal in most cases and makes for better sound.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should ditch the stock speakers and replace the 6.5 in the front and rear seats. if you just do those you can bypass the fatory amp and get better sound quality out of your car.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bluess
you should ditch the stock speakers and replace the 6.5 in the front and rear seats. if you just do those you can bypass the fatory amp and get better sound quality out of your car.
It appears we have a new expert.

Bypassing the Monsoon amp will have absolutely no effect on sound quality. The amp may not be powerful but it is accurate and does a good job of amplifying a clean signal. The problem is getting a clean signal. Replacing the factory head unit is the major thing to do to get better sound - the factory HU is a distortion machine. The factory speakers aren't bad but they're made from cheap materials and they don't last long. There are some good options available (check with Kee Audio) for aftermarket speakers that will both improve sound and last much longer than stock - running through the Monsoon amp.

Of course, if you want to spend the money on a full replacement system with speakers, sub(s), amp(s), etc., you can definitely improve the sound. But just installing some speakers and rewiring to bypass the Monsoon amp won't help at all.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yah im already running a sub and aftermarket deck,,, (i think its stock speakers didnt check yet)
i just checked and my deck puts out 22watts rms.... mm what should i do... whats the exact specs on the monsoon stuff?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uJ87dOM...-KDC-X591.html
Old 02-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your deck is about 22 watts RMS x 4 channels. The Monsoon is about 40-50watts RMS into 8 channels. Plus you already have an aftermarket HU so your already feeding the amp a cleaner signal then the stock player did. Kind of an easy decision now.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

while i have you all in here,,, whats the best speaker upgrade to do,,,

like what size combos and where,,,, not brands

I just find the mids and highs need to be cleaner,, and louder if possiable,,, trying to live up to the 12" type r sub is kinda killing them out.