Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission fluid change

I'm wanting to change my transmission fluid in my 4L60E to the F-Type fluid. Is this something I can do myself? If it's probably too difficult what are some good shops that will do it? And also, how much would something like this cost me? thanx alot.
-Brent
Old 12-26-2003, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont recommend it. A friend of mine put it in his tranny and it banged the shifts so hard, he glazed his 3-4 clutches in 1000 miles....4 different times!
Old 12-26-2003, 03:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what's wrong with plain old non synthetic dexron?
Old 12-26-2003, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

just go to a shop you trust and have them do a full trans flush with a trans flush machine then top off with a good additive such as lubegaurd red or BG's additive. Prior to the flush they should add a can of cleaner to your trans and test drive it for about 15 minutes. This process of flushing works great! BTW use a quality NON synthetic dextron fluid
Old 12-26-2003, 09:54 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackWS602
what's wrong with plain old non synthetic dexron?
Absolutely nothing!! It's the only stuff I use.

When I bought my trans at FLP that's what they told me to stick with.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by destroyerSS
just go to a shop you trust and have them do a full trans flush with a trans flush machine then top off with a good additive such as lubegaurd red or BG's additive. Prior to the flush they should add a can of cleaner to your trans and test drive it for about 15 minutes. This process of flushing works great! BTW use a quality NON synthetic dextron fluid
The only thing I don't like about the machines is the filter usually doesn't get changed, and any crap that might be stuck to the pan doesn't come out.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only thing I don't like about the machines is the filter usually doesn't get changed, and any crap that might be stuck to the pan doesn't come out.
At our shop we give you the option for us to drop the pan after the flush for this exact reason. A new filter clean out the pan and a new pan gasket. But it's a good point to bring up. Later Shawn
Old 12-26-2003, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

At our shop we give you the option for us to drop the pan after the flush for this exact reason. A new filter clean out the pan and a new pan gasket. But it's a good point to bring up. Later Shawn
Exactly, most shops I know never ask you that, you usually have to tell them to do it if you want it done. So it's just a FYI for the guy wanting it done
Old 12-26-2003, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

the shop where i had mine flushed was done at the pump.flushed and serviced.why is everyone so against syn?
Old 12-26-2003, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
the shop where i had mine flushed was done at the pump.flushed and serviced.why is everyone so against syn?
where the hell did they hook to the pump? there is no service point there. Was the trans still in the car? I think what they must of told you is thst the flusher is run from your pump. cause every flusher i've ever used hooks in line at your radiator & trans line
Old 12-26-2003, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

where the hell did they hook to the pump? there is no service point there. Was the trans still in the car? I think what they must of told you is thst the flusher is run from your pump. cause every flusher i've ever used hooks in line at your radiator & trans line
ill try to explain how it was done.the pan was dropped.they used a part to hookup in the pan then hooked up the machine and flushed it from there.

the shop also told me shops that flushing from a trans line is prone to have leaks.how do you tap into a line?this shop told me most shops cut into it and thats no good.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

synthetic fluid in an A4 will actually cause the clutches to slip more than usual resulting in more heat, which results in early tranny failures. Heat kills trannys.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

ill try to explain how it was done.the pan was dropped.they used a part to hookup in the pan then hooked up the machine and flushed it from there.

the shop also told me shops that flushing from a trans line is prone to have leaks.how do you tap into a line?this shop told me most shops cut into it and thats no good.
so they removed the filter and went in from there but VERY UNESSASARY!!!!Was your car running or was it off? and were they using a flush machine that is normally used to flush lines before a new trans install. Because there is no cutting involved in doing a trans flush all you do is unhook the trans line where it goes into the radiator screw on the fittings and flush. Our shop uses a BG flush machine and it comes with all the different fittings to do just about all cars and it takes about 1hr with a full flush and filter change
Old 12-26-2003, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

Type F works just fine in my A4.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

synthetic fluid in an A4 will actually cause the clutches to slip more than usual resulting in more heat, which results in early tranny failures. Heat kills trannys.
I too am 100% anti-syn for the trans. Super slippery = NO GOOD for clutches.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:03 AM

Anyone hear of doing a flush yourself by removing the inlet cooler line, attaching a hose and pump the fluid into a bucket by starting the engine. as soon as the fluid stops you turn it off. then reconnect the cooler line, drop the pan and replace the filter and service as normal. Could this hurt the tranny to run dry just for a moment?