Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension problems, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension problems, need help!

I need your help guys, My back suspension pretty much sucks, i have kyb shocks with stock springs, and everytime i go over an imperfection in the road the car moves all over the place like is going to break in half! People ask me if i have a dead body in my trunk.So my question is can i just replace my back shocks only, or should i replace the shocks and springs? My bumpstops are about to break in half also, but i cant find a replacement for them anywhere! Do you guys know where i can get them?
I would also like to lower my car in the back b/c it sits too high but my problem is i have 275/40/18 and they rub when i make turns, would rolling my fenders give extra room to lower it !
Thanks!
Old 02-13-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

I would get some new springs. When I did my rear end swap the other week and had my stock springs out, I was amazed at how easily I could press them in lol. What else do you have, panhard bar, LCA's?
Old 02-13-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by munecorey
I need your help guys, My back suspension pretty much sucks, i have kyb shocks with stock springs, and everytime i go over an imperfection in the road the car moves all over the place like is going to break in half!
which KYB's do you have? what exactly does the car do? clunk? or just bounce around? did you check to make sure your panhard bar and lca bolts are all tight?

People ask me if i have a dead body in my trunk.So my question is can i just replace my back shocks only, or should i replace the shocks and springs? My bumpstops are about to break in half also, but i cant find a replacement for them anywhere! Do you guys know where i can get them?
you can replace just shocks. bumpstops are supposedly discontinued by GM, so a salvage yard might be the only way to get factory ones. people also run polyurethane ones made for jeeps but i don't like that idea.

I would also like to lower my car in the back b/c it sits too high but my problem is i have 275/40/18 and they rub when i make turns, would rolling my fenders give extra room to lower it !
Thanks!
are they rubbing the fenders or the inner wheel well? is it only on one side?

i wouldn't go replacing parts until you know exactly what's wrong. i'm in NJ also and might be able to help out if you're close. also i'll be selling my front bilstein/hypercoil setup soon if you wanna lower your car haha. what year are you at MSU?
Old 02-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Launching!

The car clunks, I'm always hitting on the bumpstops, i suppose that's why they are about to break in half, the shocks are kyb agx adjustable shocks. When i changed the shocks setting to 6 it made a big difference, it felt more stable and did not hit the bumpstops as much, but after a month it started riding like crap again! I have subframe connectors but i have not installed them yet, heard they are big help for verts. About the rubbing it rubs on both sides. Im located in the passaic clifton area, and im on my junior year at montclair!
Old 02-14-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would guess you have shock failure......